Pace RC303 Mk1

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
Hi guys,

This is my latest ride, and I have to say how impressed I am with it :)

Having owned two other Pace machines in the past (RC100/RC300) I was expecting this to ride with the same sort of characteristics (Hard as nails) ,

But on the first outing I was blown away, in how surefooted and dare I say it 'Comfortable' it was :shock: :)

Big plans are also afoot for this one, weight is going to be slashed , forks will be replaced with some new DT's when I have got enough pennies in the piggy bank... :)

Just going to enjoy it for now.. hope you like it :)

P1010325.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010466.jpg

Didn't you already post this?

303s are underrated by their critics IMHO. I love mine - best MTB I have.

What makes it good?

Being completely honest it looks like any other MTB now, i miss the old box section style fame but the wheels are kinda funky. I guess its more fogiving than the old versions??

mazdaman1980":xiyy06xe said:
What makes it good?

Being completely honest it looks like any other MTB now

Admittedly - the RC303/5 is no looker.

BUT

Comfort - it really is rigid and shock absorbent all at the same time.

Weight is OK too - Mine is 11kg with no effort made to save weight whatsoever. Bikes with this much travel are usually heavier. It's lighter than my Dave Yates.

Geometry made for fork travel that a normal XC bike can't cope with - without the extremes that make it unusable as an XC machine. Lock your fork out at the right place in its travel and you have a rigid XC bike, yet it'll take a boulder field in its stride when you unlock it.

It's a well thought out concept - some details that are irritating (rear brake cable routing anyone?) that works very well for intended purpose. It's not a race bike - but how many people in here race anyway? Some of used to and a few still do.

The Taiwan issue is a red herring. Scott, Specialized, Kona? I don't see the same "But it's made in Taiwan" protests.

How flexy are these? i have heard they are soft but still rigid? I was think about but wondered if they wouldnt be approipriate for my 17 stone frame?

I have tried a chameleon (solid and fast but quite dead feeling)
Older Cove Stiffee, quite zippy with a little flex but nice
Hei hei was super fast but a little too much flex for someone my size
Currently Cannondale 2007 F5 very zippy and fast feeling but still a bit dead.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread :)

Sorry - can't help out.

I'm nowhere near 17 stone so I haven't any experience that is relevant.

Don't know about your piggybank, but Pace are selling 2008 130mm DT forks new for 399 GBP. Looks like they are QR though, no bolt through.

Enjoy the ride!!

Back