Rear disc brake question

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sorry about the stupid question but never having had a rear disc brake before - if I have a wheel with a 155mm rotor on it, will that fit most rear disc calipers on standard IS mounts - how does it work?

As I'm sure all rotors aren't the same size at the back and I have seen conversion kits for the larger rotors, but what is the standard rear rotor size?

Its not that straight forward. Which rotor and disc brake we talking about? Its cheaper to buy a new rotor £12-30, than a caliper

different size rotors need different size calipers. hope have a sizing guide for rotor against the older (numbered) calipers on the minis. what brakes exactly?

Well, it's from the wheelset I just bought (see this thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6056&highlight=dumb), and this was the description on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=110069768322&rd=1&rd=1

He says it's a 155mm, I haven't measured yet. I haven't bought the brake yet as I wasn't sure what I'll need. Am I better getting a bigger rotor to make it easier to find a brake for it, or am I likely to get what I want to fit a 155mm rotor?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
orange71":184jtqkk said:
if I have a wheel with a 155mm rotor on it, will that fit most rear disc calipers on standard IS mounts

Standard rotor size is 160mm, so it will probably fit ok depending on what caliper you use.

yeh you can use a 155mm rotor on a caliper meant for 160mm. just keep an eye on the pads, as the upper 2.5mm unaffected upper disc pad area wont wear & will leave you with a pad ridge. take a dremel to it time to time & it'll be fine.

bolt it up and have a look
but 160/180/ 203 are common sizes today
that's not to say.......
mike

Back