New Disc brake advise - What should I buy ? ? ?

al":37ur9d4d said:
Paul, you are naughty!

Don't believe him! Hayes are rubbish. Infact I would rather have Melvyn Hayes bolted to my bike than Hayes brakes.

Al, :D

Seconded! Every set of Hayes that I've ever come across has ended up with corroded pistons in the caliper.

Andy B":27qv0wm1 said:
Formula K18/K24 are supposed to be very good or so the owners I know keep telling me! (great power & very good lever feel)

i#ve got a brand new K24 formula oro for sale...

fact is these days most disc brakes are pretty pucker & theres only minor differences between them that suit different people.
I find the avid lever shape too quirky, shimano have more modulation than hope, but i've gone for hope on 4 of my bikes due to rapid ease of parts & servicing, power (but not as good modulation as shimano) & I like the ergonomics & looks.

find a demo fleet of bikes with different brakes & try before you buy :D

Ive always used Hopes on my modern bikes,ran mini mono's for a while,they were good but not enough stopping power for me,upgraded to M4's now and theyre ace,good spares availability and trick anodised parts if you want too,Hope get my vote ;)

4 sets of Hope's here, 04's and 07's, mostly M4's 180mm. Power aplenty with good modulation but I can only compare them to the Magura discs I used to run. Have been eyeing up Formula's as they are very well regarded, but for servicing and common parts I've stuck with Hope til now.

07s have the silver CNC finish, nice, and the postmount calipers are a doddle to adjust drag-free. But I love the clean look of the size specific IS stuff on the 04 versions. Hope PM-IS adaptors are nicely machined pieces, but it still looks bulky. The new 09 stuff looks good too, not seen one in the flesh yet.

I've got mono mini m4s on my modern bike, and they're spot on. As other people have said they work well, look amazing and they're british!! They also have a huge range of bits to customize and/or improve the stock brakes - things like floating discs and braided hoses through to different coloured levers and master cylinder caps. Their customer service is also legendary.

i am a fan of hopes due to the fact they will sell you any spare part you need. there's even exploded diagrams on their website so you dont have to say " i need the funny little brass roundy bit"

A'noon Chaps,

A big thanks chaps for all your comments and advise, defo not Hayes I had three on the hit list , Shimano, Hope and Avid.

I have now purchased a set of New Hope M4's which will be fiited next weekend :cool: . I was also advised on the new Shimano SLX but Hope have a good name and keep a good price on ebay

Cheers

This is a useful thread – been looking to get disks on the NRS (finding full suspension leads to faster speeds than V-brakes allow :? )

Sounds like Hopes are the ones I'll be going for too

Cheers guys

Had the same problem magura louise FR front went kaput, IME the shimano brakes are not as pimp as some other makes but far more reliable so went the new shimano SLX brake-very reasonably priced and works well. Jobs a good un :)

I believe in fixies was selling the Avid Juicy 5s that were on my On One Inbred, for a bargain price.
They were spiffy.

Back