Shimano 952 front mech

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, bit of a fettling going on at my house today. 952 front mech with non-parallel plates... which plate do I line up with the chainrings outer or inner?

I think it should be the outer plate but I just can't get the indexing right.... :cry: perhaps I'm holding my mouth wrong?

(For the fuller picture running a Middleburn RS7 with hardcote slickshift rings. Problem I keep getting is middle ring keeps rubbing on inner plate when chain on outer ring. I've set the front mech to 3mm above the top of the teeth (which I know are slightly shorter than big s teeth. Should I increase this to 4mm?)

Scratches head, goes to make cup of tea...

Mike

The chainrings do they have the spacers in it (if neccecary)
Doesn't shift it properly down on the middle or up on the middle or what?

I've never had any bother using that mech. What chainring sizes you using? Might be better closer to the rings. Try angling the tail of the mech in slightly, but in general line up with the outer plate and big ring :D

Thanks for the replys. I've sorted it. Big problem - I was holding my mouth wrong (dark art of front mechs and all that). Mech was to low - moved it up to give a 3mm gap sorted the problem, as for which plate to have parallel with chainrings it was the inner plate.

Of course I will forget to write this in my copy of Zinn, hence I've answered myself so I can search for it next time I fettle! ;)

Back