Advice required (although will probably be disregarded!)

...but it has been suggested, quite reasonably, that I should ride a modern bike (this reads short stem, wide probably riser bars, suspension forks, discs). I'm not totally opposed to the idea but nor am I convinced (where will my excuse go?)

For what purpose Ed? do you want to improve your downhill prowess?

Yes, you'll find a modern disc brake full-susser a lot easier and confidence inspiring on the downhill bits.......you'll also find it 'mushier' on the uphill bits.........what are you hoping to gain?

As an example, I recently took my modern round the same loop as the Retroride at Afan.........on the Retro it was hard work and killed a set of canti pads, but it was big fun.......on the modern it was an awful lot easier, I hardly used the front brake.......but was it a better ride, more fun........no, it was just easier.

so the question remains, what do you hope to gain?

Modern doesn't have to mean full-sus, a nice steel hardtail with a lockout and adjustable travel on the forks will climb as well as (if not better than) a retro-rigid bike, as well as generally performing better in all other areas and being more comfortable due to the better brakes and stem/bar differences. Try it... what do you have to lose?

here-here, it doesnt even need to be nice, perhaps i can give you a head start, i can lend you a frame and fork for as long as it takes you to decide whether or not you can get a feel for a more modern set-up, just give me a couple of days to drop them off in coombes, then you can beg/borrow/steal some disc brakes, then build it up on the cheapo? sounds like plan.......

Russell":1ozyquev said:
Modern doesn't have to mean full-sus, a nice steel hardtail with a lockout and adjustable travel on the forks will climb as well as (if not better than) a retro-rigid bike, as well as generally performing better in all other areas and being more comfortable due to the better brakes and stem/bar differences. Try it... what do you have to lose?

My soul :shock: ?

kanerdog1x1":1ozyquev said:
here-here, it doesnt even need to be nice, perhaps i can give you a head start, i can lend you a frame and fork for as long as it takes you to decide whether or not you can get a feel for a more modern set-up, just give me a couple of days to drop them off in coombes, then you can beg/borrow/steal some disc brakes, then build it up on the cheapo? sounds like plan.......

That does indeed sound like a plan, very generous offer and willing to give it a go. Already planning for flapping shorts, inappropriate piercings and railing berms, dude, just got to sort out some disc brakes

sinnett177":291nt70r said:
You'll enjoy a modern bike for a few weeks or months Ed, but then it just won't flick your switch as it will be just be an old modern bike and you'll yearn again for a retro bike.

The fact is you won't go much faster if any on a modern bike and the modern bike will just lose money hand over fist as new components are released. Your retrobikes have reached bottom value and if anything will gain value in the future.

Stick with what you know and enjoy being a bit different.

Stick to being different by all means but to say a modern bike will be no faster is a little wrong,I hate to say it but my modern bikes are faster for the same effort but I only say this as a racer,for riding pleasure I'll stick with the old/ss stuff.

thats the spirit! dont think you need to go as far a piercings tho.... :LOL:
i also have a pair of disc wheels that need only a bit of attention, should be able to sort that at lunch time also. ;)

Not thought about a retro-modern build? Plenty of retro frame's you can fit 80mm forks and discs to.

kanerdog1x1":2q5l57lc said:
thats the spirit! dont think you need to go as far a piercings tho.... :LOL:
i also have a pair of disc wheels that need only a bit of attention, should be able to sort that at lunch time also. ;)

Sounds even better, there'll be disc mounts on the Explosif before I know it. Piercings, no, tats, yes?

Kestonian":2q5l57lc said:
Have you considered posting a similar thread on STW?

Not really, no, thought I might get more considered comments here - as proved - rather than various comments about "wrecktro".

sinnett177":2q5l57lc said:
Not thought about a retro-modern build? Plenty of retro frame's you can fit 80mm forks and discs to.

The whole idea came from an idle conversation (the best sort) in the LBS on Saturday after my flailing (read running) performance in a social Boxing Day ride. This got me thinking that it would be interesting to have a go on a modern bike on the same trails I ride every week and see how I get on. It's not about better or worse, just giving it a go to see what it is like. At the moment there is absolutely no plan for a build but will see how the experiment goes and take it from there.

Back