Front mech on LTS DS - anyone cracked this?!

richie-t

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I cant believe how close i get, before something else screws me over.

I've got the front mech fitted on the lts ds, problem is when you tighten the bolt it brings the mech both UP and inward toward the frame.

When in smallest rear cog, the chain is clattering the bottom of the mech. Problem is, the front mech cannot slide down any further - it is at the bottom of the tubing.

Anyone else with a lts ds had similar problems? i'm close to tears

cherrybomb":3ou3bmxy said:
Would a 'normal' front mech not fit.? The clamp is higher up on them.

i had an older front mech on there but the spring was borked.

I just went for something that would hopefully do the job (note: i am not fussed for period parts, just the frames!)

Is it just me (or a modern bike thing) but the rear of the front mech seems to be far away from the large ring ? Looks like it is designed for larger rings.

My advice would be to ignore the small/small combination and live with it*, get a larger small ring, get a etype front mech, try different front mechs with the low bands (maybe a slimmer one). Doesn't look like a conventional front mech will work in the first place.

Is it actually rubbing on the bottom of the side ?

* because it is very easy to move to the middle ring by the time you are down on small/small

FluffyChicken":3npbft1d said:
Is it just me (or a modern bike thing) but the rear of the front mech seems to be far away from the large ring ? Looks like it is designed for larger rings.

My advice would be to ignore the small/small combination and live with it*, get a larger small ring, get a etype front mech, try different front mechs with the low bands (maybe a slimmer one). Doesn't look like a conventional front mech will work in the first place.

Is it actually rubbing on the bottom of the side ?

* because it is very easy to move to the middle ring by the time you are down on small/small

Yeh, i kinda thought the same. It meets at the top but goes way wide at the side.

THe front mech which came with it worked fine shifting up, but struggled to shift down (buggered spring?). I think it was a mid ninties stx one or something. I have a 2000 acera-x one on my tempest but thats even taller and wouldnt work.

Back