1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Team

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just finished rebuilding my 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Team. Had the frame since back in the day, just had it repowdercoated and stickered. Built up with 7 speed DX / XT mix.

main.php

main.php

Anyhow couple of quick pics for now. Pleased to have finally sort of finished a project in 2008 :LOL:

Need to sort a few bits and pieces before riding in anger and do better pics at some point.

Nice Stumpy John, clean simple lines, just how it should be! ;)

Those original Ground Control tyres were ace, i had some BITD.

Stumpjumper = iconic MTB :cool:

And this is a prime example of how one should be; no frills, no anodized crap, just clean simple lines and workhorse drivetrain.

I like it ;)

A little more info.

The frame/fork was purchased by myself around 1995. It had already been repsrayed a rather fetching green. Used it in and off for years as is until I cracked the seatclamp a couple of years ago following an unfortunate (and somewhat inebriated) ride home from a friends house. Anyhow had the frame freshly powdercoated and restickered recently. The finish isn't stock but it looks well enough. Realise the colour scheme is a little 'off' for the year but think the black / yellow specialized scheme is quite iconic so went for it anyhow.
The build is pretty standard DX / XT mix. It's all parts from the parts bin or that I've picked up for peanuts over the last few months.

Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper Team

Fork: Specialized

Headset: No name
Stem: Tioga
Handlebar: Specialized
Grips: ODI

Brakes: Shimano Deore DX
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore DX

Shifters: Shimano Deore DX
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: Sedis
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT
Chainrings: Shimano / Onza
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Suntour c/w Power Grips. Will be Time ATAC soon.

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Mavic 231
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
Tyres: Specialized Ground Control S (front) / Ritchey Z-Max K 1.7 (Rear)

Saddle: Turbo
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Specialized
Bottle Cage : Specialized

The bike needs a little 'tweaking' before riding in anger, perhaps a new stem and definitely new chain and block.

Nice , i should get mine back very soon . I wont re paint it , apart from te repaired area . I have a suntour groupset waiting to be used .

looks great. :D I had a set of power grips for a while but went back to toe clips. I had a spare set that are now on my kite buggy.

Back