Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 am 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner

Nice work! I’d be interested to see what pattern you cut the leather in for the saddle - and any tips

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:40 am 
Retro Guru

No pattern as such, I didn't trim anything off of that remnant until the first stripe of glue was set and the leather was attached to the centre. Just trim as you go. Most of the detail at the rear around the seat rail sockets is done with a scalpel when it's dry.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 am 

kanerdog1x1 wrote:
No pattern as such, I didn't trim anything off of that remnant until the first stripe of glue was set and the leather was attached to the centre. Just trim as you go. Most of the detail at the rear around the seat rail sockets is done with a scalpel when it's dry.

And here I was thinking you drew and cut a perfect pattern in the leather! :lol:
Nice one - thanks for the tip - I’ve never thought about doing this before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:41 pm 
Retro Guru

It would seem that my interpretation of 'mint', is different to others...

I bought a pair of Pace rc38 airforce forks, advertised as refurbished, but after a strip down they were far from ready to use even. These next pics were for my benefit during stripping them, but show how grubby they were inside.

The rebound valve was broken, looks like someone had tried to glue it together. Mr Paceman helped find me a replacement.

I decided that I would polish the carbon, tumble the raw alu parts and respray the painted parts. I didn't get many pics during the process, but heres one of the tumbling.

I masked off the carbon parts and sand blasted the feet and the arch. I used vinyl insulation tape to protect the carbon from the glass media, it's much tougher than regular masking tape.

The tumbled and painted finishes.

The finished article.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Excited to see this progress, very nice!

Thank you for the headset cup trick you pictured.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 am 
Retro Guru

The build has been stalled somewhat, I had found a p[air of wheels in Portugal that were ideal, they were ordered the day after the frame but have been stuck in customs for over 4 weeks. I had my suspicions that they were lost, but had managed to keep calm and not involve eBay in a case. After updating the track and trace page more often than I dare think about, yesterday the status seemed to change. Parcel force changed the actual tracking number to a 'GB' reference, and the package had been accepted into the UK system. This morning it seems it is will be delivered.

I have been collecting parts over the last few week to add to the parts already 'in stock', I now have a freewheel, some tyres, and some grey Shimano SLR outer cable for the brakes. I will be delving into the stash for the other parts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 am 
Retro Guru

Ok, so the wheels have arrived, and they are stunning. A pace oversize hub on the front, and XTR 95x at the rear, that I have changed to single speed with a Surly Fixxer.

My maths for the chain line, It's 0.5mm out, not something worth worrying about.

And some parts from the stash added to the new buys.

I have fitted the Panaracer to the front, but just need to double check the dish on the rear before it fit the tyre, my wheel building tools are in the other w/s. There is a pair of Raceface Turbines to go on, these were originally fitted to the Cove, as well as a Raceface System and XY that were on my Giant XTC. Should have it built this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:56 am 
Retro Guru

Oh, and some pis of the underside of the saddle.

I know its not quite as perfect as the original, but it lets a really worn saddle live again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Ok. So this evening I grabbed the wheel truing jig from the other workshop, and checked the dish on the rear wheel. It was ever so slightly out, but probably would have been ok in a pinch.

I could then get the thing almost together. I've put some Easton low rise bars on for now, just to gauge whether I need to go up or down.

I need to grab some noodles from the bike shop tomorrow, then I can plumb the brakes in. I have some, but they've gone rusty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Two visits to the bike shop today, I really should have looked at my shopping list...
Anyway, the thing is up together now. I rode it the short distance in the snow to the other workshop to show the apprentice, he was amazed how light it is. All up weight, 22Lbs even. I was shocked how noodly the forks are. I'm seriously considering hunting down some nice RC31s.

On the short ride I was impressed how taught the frame is, and how instant acceleration is. I think I will try to find some slightly taller riser bars, just to pull the front end up a little.