Riding a big ride on a Whyte JW4.

Duxuk

Retro Guru
My main riding target for this year was to ride the Mary Towneley Loop in the Pennines in a single ride. It's 47 miles but has a massive 6,700 feet of ascent and descent. I could have used a modern bike but thought that my 16 year old Whyte JW4 would be better suited to a not especially technical trail with loads of climbing. I've written my story.......https://mountainbiker.online/2020/09/14 ... -reviewed/
dscf7004.jpg

ovlov440":hlzebvo7 said:
Can I ask, why use the JW4 instead of the PRST-4?
Sorry for the late reply. I used the JW4 because it has a 3X10 transmission where the PRST has a 1X10. Originally they would have been 3X8 and 3X9 respectively but I'm not worried about originality for these bikes. They're for riding :D

Re:

ah-ha!

I did wonder if functionally there was much difference between the 2 (and the PRST-4 is the technically superior bike yes?)

My wife and son both have Marin Attack Trails (same rear end) and I have just picked up a Whyte 46 (again same rear end) so looking forward to seeing how I get on with it.

The differences between the PRST4 and JW4 are fairly limited. The front suspension works identically but the PRST has a lighter box section fork, rather than the JWs tubular. The only other difference is the "Big Gripper" drop outs on the PRST. You attach aluminium "cotton bobbins" to the wheels and they are clamped in place by unique devices. The aim, and it's quite successful, is to give the rigidity of a through axle before such things were available. The linkage front ends are great and prevent bobbing as long as you set the shock pressures high enough. With a coil shock you need to set the preload high enough. As soon as you hit a bump the front wheel is pushed backwards, which activates the suspension. They have good small bump response and steer where you point them. I just need a 150mm travel version and wouldn't want to ride any other bike! (Except for comparison, nostalgia etc. etc.)

Back