2x7 Shimano STI levers wanted

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello

Is anyone interested in selling a set of 2x7 Shimano Brifters?

I'm having real problems trying to find some.

If you prefer to do a swap I have a bunch of components including RX100 front and rear derailleurs and downtube shifters and EX500 brakes and levers and some other bits.

Re:

Hello again walkmanman

Wow you must have stockpile of cool older stuff.

The RSX levers sound good, would you be able to DM me a pic of them please? What would their compatibility be like with a pair of Shimano Exage EX300 caliper brakes? What sort of price would you be looking for?

Thanks again for getting back to me about these and the freehub.

Oh yes, I've just spotted on the other thread that you're the same chap who I've offered a freehub body to, in case your MTB wheel requires a replacement one. You'd seem to have quite a few projects going on:) And you're correct assuming about the good amount of spare bits I have gathered- much of it is not getting much attention these days as my interest has gone to even older bikes, since I'm building a variety of pre 60s bikes which I'd highly recommend if this era is your thing:)
Anyway, I'll certainly send you over a few pics, as well as the other info.

OK, it turns out that the brifters I thought were RSX were in fact 105. A bit pricier of course but they are better quality. They're actually 8 speed but will still be compatible with 7 speed because Shimano 6/7/8 speed indexed set up have the same spacing between the cogs, and all you'd need to do is lock out your rear mech to stop it from pushing the chain past your largest cassette cog if you were to select the eighth gear. I might have an RX100 set as well if youre still after something like RSX level.
Here's some pics:

Re:

I will get back to you about the shifters, they're very nice looking, I used to have full RX100 kit on a racer and I loved it, are the RX100 ones 7 or 8 if you don't mind me asking?

I took the wheel into my LBS and it's had it, discovered the rim's dented as well so it's going to have to be a full rebuild unfortunately, that or sourcing an old rear wheel, it's for an old Raleigh Yukon mtb I found in a house clearance shop, I think circa 1992, the spacing on the back is 130mm so you can guess how hard it's proving to source some things.

You mention you have amassed a fair bit of kit? I don't suppose you have a 2x front derailleur suitable for a braze on mount by any chance?

Yes a couple of projects on the go at the moment. It's enjoyable sourcing stuff but finding some components is proving to be a pain.

Thanks

walkmanman":r0r0kh0r said:
They're actually 8 speed but will still be compatible with 7 speed because Shimano 6/7/8 speed indexed set up have the same spacing between the cogs, and all you'd need to do is lock out your rear mech to stop it from pushing the chain past your largest cassette cog if you were to select the eighth gear. I might have an RX100 set as well if youre still after something like RSX level.
Not so, cog spacing is:
6s: 5.5mm
7s: 5.0mm
8s: 4.8mm

8 speed shifters and 7 speed 'sort-of' works, but it's tetchy and needs clean cabling/outers in good condition. Personally I gave up, others may be more tolerant of the rear mech buzzing in some gears.
The only 7speed brifters that Shimano ever made are RX100 (edit: or was it RSX?)

However, there is another possibility: Campag 7 and 8 speed gears ARE both spaced at 5.0mm. SO a Campag 8 speed Ergo and pre-2001 rear mech will index perfectly on a Shimano 7 speed cassette.

Re:

I have some RSX 7-speed brifters if you’re still looking for them?
Also have an RX100 front mech, braze on, or a similar 105 (1055) front mech,
Message me if they’re of any use,

Re: Re:

onyerbike531":1ntv9nn7 said:
I will get back to you about the shifters, they're very nice looking, I used to have full RX100 kit on a racer and I loved it, are the RX100 ones 7 or 8 if you don't mind me asking?

I took the wheel into my LBS and it's had it, discovered the rim's dented as well so it's going to have to be a full rebuild unfortunately, that or sourcing an old rear wheel, it's for an old Raleigh Yukon mtb I found in a house clearance shop, I think circa 1992, the spacing on the back is 130mm so you can guess how hard it's proving to source some things.

You mention you have amassed a fair bit of kit? I don't suppose you have a 2x front derailleur suitable for a braze on mount by any chance?

Yes a couple of projects on the go at the moment. It's enjoyable sourcing stuff but finding some components is proving to be a pain.

Thanks

OK, well no problem about your wanting to have a think about the brifters before making a decision on them. And of course there's the info provided by the chap re spacing to consider, although with some of my beater bikes using this kit, having always predictable indexing hasn't been my main priority with them, so can't recall if sometimes it missed a shift, although at the same time I do remember that all the info I've read on sites like this one and elsewhere have talked of sub 9 speed indexed shimano setups having the same spacing. It's incidental though, as it would look like the last chap to reply on here has the rsx 7 speed brifters which you were really wanting in the first place. And it sounds like he has a front mech too.
And about the wheel- yes, I remember that your wanted ad did predict that possibly getting a whole wheel might just be the correct course of action rather than trying to work things out with replacing the freehub, so looks like you were correct originally:)
But I'd have thought something would come up. Good luck with it anyway.

Back