Removing risers from 1996 Velocity stem...HELP

mcflute

Retro Newbie
So, I've started this project on a 1996? Kona Lava Dome and it is generally in good nick, it's clearly been used over the years and has had "upgrades" etc...

I'm wanting to remove the riser bars that I assume are a non-original addition. However I can't get them through the stem. They clearly went in, so must come out. Is it a case of opening up the clamp to allow them to pass. If so, how, there's already some evidence of screwdriver or similar being used previously...I don't want to cause further damage...

Ta

Attachments

• 20200801_133015.jpg
    20200801_133015.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 611
Easier with the stem in the bike. Take bolts out of bar clamp, flat blade screwdriver, the larger the blade surface the better and can use a bit of cloth to stop marking. Prise open clamp as bars get to bend, will need to do it twice. You only need a little leverage on the clamp and wiggle the bars around and the will go through, no need to actually open up the stem, the steel is quite flexible.

OK, great, I'll give it a whirl. I never like prising things open, and don't want to cause further damage, but the cloth is a good idea. Ta

Re:

When you take out the clamp bolts Can you see right through?, if the treads go right through as well Then put the bolts in from the other side and using something thin like a paint scraper or a steel rule, put it in the gap and then gently tighten the bolts. That should open up the clamp and allow you to remove the bars.

Re: Re:

Timoth27":h199p9oo said:
When you take out the clamp bolts Can you see right through?, if the treads go right through as well Then put the bolts in from the other side and using something thin like a paint scraper or a steel rule, put it in the gap and then gently tighten the bolts. That should open up the clamp and allow you to remove the bars.
Correct!

Re:

I know of this technique but these stems have a threaded sleeve and bolt. So that trick doesn't work. Screwdriver it is...thanks all.

Re:

Silly me. I can slip in a nut in the gap and then use a longer bolt and shim to prise it open. Worked a treat.

Re:

All done. Sawing wasn't an option as I was putting in a bar with a rise and a sweep...! All done and is the perfect fit! Thanks all for the help.

Back