Do you buy your bikes to ride or just look at?

Both. I do ride the retro bikes, but not often enough. Generally I ride modern road bikes, as I race. So have limited time to ride my retro steeds, as am training 200 to 300 miles a week on my road bike. I do love spending an evening tinkering with them, and just relaxing and merely swapping parts on the old stuff. Sad I know!

Re:

If you don't ride 'em why have 'em? You may as well collect stamps or coins.
After a ride I sit and look at mine whilst I finish any unused drink or food and plan my next upgrade.

Re: Re:

shedobits":3udshxfj said:
If you don't ride 'em why have 'em? You may as well collect stamps or coins.
After a ride I sit and look at mine whilst I finish any unused drink or food and plan my next upgrade.

I could not appreciate the aesthetics of coin or a stamp, nor gain any satisfaction from polishing a coin nor dusting a stamp.

A bicycle is a different thing altogether.

Re:

Yup, much better to wash the mud (or worse) off your bike then dip your riding gear into a bucket of water before going indoors. I really should grow up, just not yet though :roll: .

Re:

Its a Bit of a daft question this really, if we didnt enjoy looking at them, would any of us be here.....?

Attachments

• Compare and Contrast. (2).png
    Compare and Contrast. (2).png
    528.6 KB · Views: 284
  • BOTY BRITISH CONTINGENT.jpg
    BOTY BRITISH CONTINGENT.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 1988 Muddy Fox Explorer-Suntour..jpg
    1988 Muddy Fox Explorer-Suntour..jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 284
  • BOTY in Use..jpg
    BOTY in Use..jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 284
  • race number n87.jpg
    race number n87.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 284
  • The prettiest bike i ever built being used..jpg
    The prettiest bike i ever built being used..jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Roberts Stratos Campagnolo.jpg
    Roberts Stratos Campagnolo.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 284
Re:

Some bikes become part of your life though, this one has been owned since new, part of the family, gets ridden, gets looked at, parts get swoped out, wheels get rebuilt, the summer comes and its like the go too bike, and every time i walk up the stairs, it gets a glance...!

Its been through the highs and the lows of life, and still it remains constant.

Joe Breeze- Breezer Ignaz X "Family".

Attachments

• IMG_7227.jpg
    IMG_7227.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 270
I mainly thrash my 2016 Boardman FS pro but on drier days I'll ride my others and expect them to perform as they did BITD. Or even better since I'm not worried about originality, So my Whyte JW4 has wider bars and 2X10 transmission. I'm doing the Mary Towneley Loop in April. It's 47 miles and 6,500 feet of ascent. The JW4 was made for that sort of thing so will be my weapon of choice. Just hope I don't let the bike down

I love collecting frames and building them, i ride the retro bikes on gravel in the summer or on a generally dry day.
I Admire them standing in the garage, it has been known that I’ve kept a few in the house.
I always say “this is a keeper” then their gone, no regrets though.
I race xc modern, they are amazing but even an s works doesn’t have the same effect On me as a retro I’ve built.
Nick Craig has seen a few of my past retro bikes at events, he’s complemented them, but I always say, “how the hell did you ride this! Nick? Smiles “ That was what we rode...back in day”

Re:

Alternating ..

p5pb17230556.jpg

p5pb15830155.jpg

p5pb17903926.jpg

p5pb14893748.jpg

.. repeat :D

Back