Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Banana bike help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 pm 

Hi, I have a 1990 Team Raleigh (Banana) 18-23 that I picked up at a bike rescue and rebuild charity. I am ok with motorcycle restos but I need help with understanding part interchangeability on these old bikes and hope you can help. I have 700c wheels and they really need changing due to a dent and a bit of warping. I have seen "700c PAIR Road Bike Wheels - Q/R - WEINMAN Rim SILVER +6 SPEED SHIMANO FREEWHEEL" on ebay that would seem ok but I am unsure if this would be a direct swap for my standard rear wheel. I have a 6 speed hub, does anyone know what the standard set up is on my bike?

Post subject: Re: Banana bike help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 pm 
Old School Hero

Hello and welcome. You should be able to buy a complete donor bike for £30-50 , ebay / gumtree are full of old 12 speed low end sports / racers and just swap the wheels. The wheels you mention on ebay seem to be about £70 then you have to buy tyres and tubes and no disrespect but the 18-23 Raleigh framed bikes are not worth spending a fortune on. If you are unsure, just measure the rear spacing on the frame dropouts ( prob 126 or 130 mm ) and you should be ok with a 6 / 7 speed freewheel from any similar era bike. Hope this helps

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 pm 

Thanks for your help. I know what you are saying regarding the value and I don't mind getting a replacement used set of wheels but I'm not sure if there are any in nice condition. I will keep an eye out. I quite like this old bike and I quite like fun projects, the value is in the learning as you go and making something nice again that's been left languishing.

Post subject: Re: Banana bike help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:53 am 
Old School Hero

What Marshalllucky said - if you need a few parts, and unless you have something really special, it's always better/cheaper to buy a whole donor bike, than scout around for separate parts.

Especially if you are planning on making this a hobby - you will build up a few spares for the next project.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:58 pm 

Sound logic but I'm not sure this will be a hobby as such and I'm wary of having parts hanging around , from experience there are always bits that never need replacing and I don't want the garage getting filled....I have enough motorcyle bits in there lol!