Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've got a few bits and Bob's laying around and am thinking about building a bike around an mtb frame, 29er wheels and drop bars. I have some shimano road braje/shifters which would require cable disc calipers.

I'm not up to speed with road brakes of the disc variety, the last cable discs I had were bb5s I think, and I'm sure things have moves on in 6 years.

So what's a good bang for buck cable disc calliper that will work with road brake levers?

It's just an idea for a project, so not even sure if 29er wheels will fit the frame, just thinking aloud and hoping for some wise advice and recommendation(s) for brakes and I guess whether the idea will work.

I'd assumed I could get away with using 26er forks (rigid or bouncy), and the intended use once done would be commuting and possibly the occasional off road excursion.

I have a couple of frames in mind, a rock lobster team ti (a bit rough as has lacquer peel but may strip) orbs kona kula scandium which is a mint almost new frame.

Would either be a better choice for this kind of build, or neither?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 am 
Retro Guru

BB7 Road, or TRP Spyres are what I use.

Both good brakes, but need good quality cables for maximum effectiveness. Crap cables will give you crap brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:54 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

If you're interested, I've a Hope V twin master cylinder. Far as im aware it will work with any of the hope calipers.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Interested in how you get on with this. My commuter is a singlespeed MTB frame which I've had both drops and flat bars on. It works well in both configurations, I've got flat bars on it at the moment as I feel that gives me better control in traffic (more "head up"). It's running 26" Maxxis DTH tyres. I toyed with trying to shoehorn 29" wheels in it but tbh I think the BB would end up being too high, and I didn't think the benefits that relate to off-road riding matter as much on the road so I've not bothered.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:11 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Not decided if I will go down this route or not, have a few other projects on the go before I get to this, so fact finding at the mo.

Re bb height. Not measured but there isn't much difference between a 26er with bulky tyres vs a 29er with lower profile tyres, at least in my head.