Brands we never see on RB?

Re:

Columbia were ex-worksop factory builders IIRC. Some new ones there to me, I have a TJ Quick and a Vernon Barker that are both rarely seen on here, Barker are still going too I think.

Re:

I forgot Ken Bird, I've had three of his, my last Bill Philbrook built TT Bird was sold to a TT bicycle collector in Scotland.

Rk.

Re: Re:

roadking":18vx8ldu said:
I would add to brands we never see: brands we rarely see -
Hobbs of Barbican - early innovator of fine lugs and bright colours
1946 Hobbs of Barbican
24496872867_97c79b03bc_c.jpg

details

1952 Hobbs Blue Riband
43636065645_34ac570d39_k.jpg

details of project still underway

another uncommon brand
1952 EA Boult (before the brand changed to Witcomb)
35614076982_a7160057b4_o.jpg

after restoration pictured with its original owner
details

all now located in Adelaide, Australia

Re: Re:

bagpuss":1cs24vgq said:
Few more names of frame builds spring to mind.
Langsett of sheffield .
Alwin Smith of Derby . {I think I have splet his first name right?}
Joe Cook{ Imperial Petrel} of Birmingham .If anyone has a Jug frame in 23 1/2 let me know!.
P T Stallard .
I have s Stallard and ride it occasionally.

In 1951 and in 1954 I had frames made by Les Vince in Bath. 1955 it was Queree Bros of Birmingham with the large brass name eiher side of the top tube. Later I put a pair of Paris Roubaix ends in it with a gear hanger brazed on, and road it in a road race with the back pedal change.
Mid 50s I also rode an Armstrong, built by Bill Gameson silver brazed, top spec. when Dave Duffield had him in the Armstrong/TI works.

In the post war years another local was Ray Clark of Weston. His frames were built by Bill Martin, an expert with Sifbronze joints. Unlike an expert from the North photographed finish a joint with a flame about an inch long, Bill would have about 8 inches of flame, use a 1 / 8 th SIF rod and the joint would be done and finished without any further work.

As far as I'm aware Fred Baker of Bristol did not build frames, but supplied a few own name Holdsworthy frames. I had one (used) in the mid 70s which has now been restored to the real name.

Keith

Most things from the RJ Chicken rep in the 70's blimey they had odd stuff..... And some nice stuff as well. OMAS kit rings a bell :)

Midlife":3dvyy3xq said:
Most things from the RJ Chicken rep in the 70's blimey they had odd stuff..... And some nice stuff as well. OMAS kit rings a bell :)

Then there was all kinds of weird stuff from Ron Kitching & hs catalogues :)

Back