Trimble spray job

the yellow colour can only come from micro balloon filler, or as in the case of the boat components, some internal binder and bad lighting, carbon was never anything but black until the very late nineties when they started messing with spectra tape fillers and sputter depositing aluminium onto one side. (texalium, looks nice delams for britain).

given the weight of your frame there has to be an awful lot of glass and filler in there, and that would agree with the colour once sanded.

i'm just guessing but i'd say the 'all carbon' new frames are likely to be just over half that weigth not including alloy fittings based on the tube diameters and wall thicknesses.

but what the hell it's still a 'Trimble'....

Jez,

I'm actually surprised at the astonishment displayed from the board...I thought most knew that the Trimbles were infact fiberglass laid. Although some were made of actual carbon, the fabric and resin that was used turned out to be to brittle, fracturing at the bottom of the spine tube.

What amazes me more is that people who purchase Asian made "carbon" frames today still believe their frame is the real deal. The majority of these frames are glass with a single layer of carbon on the exterior lay...just enough to justify the marketing.

End of the day...you still have a killer frame that weeps of historic retroness. Just ride the bitch!

cheers,

rody

Ah that explains it I guess!

The other Trimble I have is identical in every respect (size, dimensions, parts, features etc and the small decals on the one being sprayed had recommended rider weight warnings etc so its genuine by all means.

Unless of course I have 2 copies (unlikely)

Ref: Weight:

The bike didnt feel particularly slow when riding it - quite the opposite really - I dont think the weight really affects its abilities. In contrast to the others in the fleet this one actually accelerates very quick.

It aint a featherweight but I dont think these were seen as ultralite builds anyway. Still they had quite a good write up and decent race heritage - Ill find some cuttings back in the day.

If it makes you feel any better a lot of pipe work in ship's engine rooms is now glass fibre and it has to do a lot more than keep your nose off the dirt!

I actually have a lot more respect for Trimble now than I did, it would be so easy to wrap it in one layer of carbon, not paint it and call it carbon. At least they painted it and called it composite! :cool:

GO TRIMBLE!

Back