Kona Hot 1997

Re: Kona Hot 1997: finished pictures P10

Thats boneriffic Al. Chapeau.
I love it when the fork colour compliments the frame like this too.

Cheers dudes.

KIS - yep, the colour really does complement it, more than any other fork/frame colour combo I have in the garage.

Well, I ain't ever gon' find me anything that rare in my size. Soooo.... I'm gonna just steal me that colour scheme for a future modern hardtail build I'm planning. So there.

Re:

Loving the latest pics and text feedback - looking super sharp. Real eye candy!

Fork also looks a million dollars with the black post and stem to make the metallic stand-out. Roll on a full ride report!

albash82":3kfwb4lm said:
Well, I ain't ever gon' find me anything that rare in my size.

Never say never - these things do exist and often appear when you least expect it.

romanrinos":3kfwb4lm said:
Fork also looks a million dollars with the black post and stem to make the metallic stand-out. Roll on a full ride report!

Cheers dude, yep, I have to agree it's come out really well, even better than expected. For me, the black rims and spokes really look the part. I didn't mention just how good they feel. They cost a fortune back in the day and still command a strong price and for once, the hype matches the performance. The weight difference is remarkable and as result it really did "feel" like I was bombing around more easily and quickly. I'm very fortunate to have 2 wonderful racing pedigree machines :oops:

Re:

Alasdair’s Retro Builds on Kona Cog makes for some excellent reading - and there is more to come yet! We love Kona for having the Dream Builds section on their site. Does any other bike manufacturer have a web site section that tips a hat to their own history and the bikes that we admire on RB?

I've been privileged to a preview of all of this, but I'm sure you can all guess by now the final installment for the week ;)

Pip

Well done Al and thank you for the hat tip yesterday! Amazing week indeed.

Loved reading the background and context to each bike. Looking forward to today's new instalment.

Re:

Cheers dude. It's been overwhelming!

So I had an absolute blast last week back in the Forest Of Dean. I spent 3 mornings at the bike park in Cannop ( https://www.fodmtb.com/trails ), spending the first 2 on the blue runs and the last on the reds. I won't spoil it if you haven't been so all I'll say is, you need to go. It's ace!

To the bike, I realise why the Hot's, to a point, were the race bike of choice. Last year I rode the Explosif there so this was as close a comparison I can give so far. The fundamental difference between the two is the rolling abilities. The Hot beats the Explosif, just. The rear - whatever it's made of - has more give and with the CrossMaxs, it's has a little more rolling speed. Where it's down is the power to driver transfer, presumably where the stiffer stays mean absolutely nothing it lost when I turn the pedals.

What does this mean in reality? I'm blessed with 2 incredible riding bikes that push me to the absolute limits as the following pictures show. You might remember I had some similar body shots 2 summers back on the Explosif so it was only right the Hot did the same. Looking back on it, the speed I came into the berm was representative of how comfortable I was feeling. Again, it's relative on an older bike, compared to a 29er I'm sure it's nothing. Anyway, in this case, the berm was an entry point into the next downhill section. It crosses a fire-road. So imagine the banked berm flattening, then going into another angled berm. Standard stuff except the flat part is dry and loose gravel. So I washed out as soon as I hit it. And yes, no damage to the bike....

sbJ3Ds.jpg

yik7Tw.jpg

...apart from the once NOS Smokes which look like they've been eaten into. Proof (again) that 20 year old rubber after 3 days of riding is for garage queens only. Anyway, here's me about to drop in on a red (check out the new Kona Hand-Up gloves which are ACE), then a bit later on nearing the end of the (Freeminers) red loop...man that was good, can I go back please?

5lnxcf.jpg

7iVpK8.jpg

Back