Mid 80’s S&G cycles Araya

andaroo2

Retro Newbie
Hi. Hope I’ve managed to attach a pic. Anybody know anything about these bikes? What year?
Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• E31D3533-E248-487F-A144-DC6988DF6E9D.jpeg
    E31D3533-E248-487F-A144-DC6988DF6E9D.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,136
Don't know anything about the make...but looks to be M700 Shimano rear derailleur (or a copy Sachs/simplex). front derailleur XT. Likewise, thumb shifters are also from the same shimano m700 group or a copy, can't see. Brakes are somekind of mafac or cheap copy. Pedals VP? Seat post Sakae laprade...based on that 86/87?

Re:

Have a search on here s&g were the precursor to muddy fox

Quite sought after, nice bike

I had this one for a short while, 24" wheels but very similar, I think I'd decided it was an '84. Cool bikes.

Attachments

• DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 998
Re:

Thanks for the info everyone. I bought it ‘ cause it reminded me of my first mtb - a MuddyFox adventurer. Exact same colour of paint & decals.
Alright for £75.
Another question. It has big 2.3 tyres & I want to return it to the original size of, I think, 1.75. Any ideas of tyres which resemble the simple knobby design?
Thanks again.

Re:

Incase you did'nt find, I bumped onto it whilst reading and remembered this post..

"Hi
The box bikes are also made by araya and we used to call them the ET bikes as some had a basket on the front, but the few better models had numbers.
If your bike had s and g cycles on them ( this came about as the company was Kirwall t/a s and g distributors ltd) your bike would have been a muddy fox : adventure ,explorer, pathfinder ,city or a city two. You would have had the gold sticker saying something like sgh18 or something. Models that came after them or the later models you could say we're the Rambler, almost identical to pathfinder but had a semi slopping front fork crown. The muddy fox monarch which was painted in white gold and cost £675 then the ltd edition which was a grand and was in a green colour. This was the same frame as the monarch but had all smooth welds bit like the cannon dale bikes.
A biter later on was the courier comp and a lot of other variations.
We did have a couple of other one off models that we had as samples but never put into production.
The courier got its name from just that, a courier. The shop was below the offices and I remember the day so clear, the sample or prototype came in and I built it up them Drew and Ari came down from upstairs and and it was about two weeks away the the cycle show that used to be at Wembley and were saying shall we put it out as a model, I was all for it as it was my design and my spec, Ari agreed to put it out at the show but we needed a name than at that point a courier called Jim waked in and that's how it got its name. We took it to the show and took orders for something like 1000 but had a waiting time of four months or more.
It was the first bike that we used a head set that was self locking, it had a coil spring built in.
Well hope that I have not bored you all
Regards
Steve"

Re:

Hi all
Sorry for opening ip the tread again but Is this the number?

Attachments

• 508F1AB7-6964-4BA3-B2D9-ADE579BAF8FF.jpeg
    508F1AB7-6964-4BA3-B2D9-ADE579BAF8FF.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 277
Back