Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Great to see it taking shape.?I think once the cranks are installed it will really come to life re:frame and forks.

Perhaps keep an eye out for some silver Z2s if you see a nice one to suit? I reckon that would set the frame off even better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Cheers.

But silver would mean too much of a clash with black. I'm going for a stealth look to off-set the paintwork and too much silver means too much shine and distraction. Plus these are pretty much period correct for the banal side of me :lol: I let that slip for the lesser stuff like pedals, grips, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm 
Retro Guru

great frame, lovely 8)

if a Bomber then a red one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

M950 M951 transplant surgery. Decent M950 rear mechs are increasingly hard to find so this is the best alternative and functionally, much more sensible. Half an hour later, a longer swing arm and NOS jockey wheels, it's good to go and should last a long time.

This is after I'd cleaned it - it was seriously caked in that black oil mud goo - and it was only then you could see just how mashed the wheels were...

...and the swing arm!

Et voila!

I swapped out the inner tubes, installed the BB (and rear mech) and added some nice bottle cage bolts. I'm waiting on an alternative granny ring before I add the cranks. The one I have isn't a black RaceFace one. A minor detail perhaps but one that'd bug me :lol: Fingers crossed the postal strikes in Canada don't hold up it's delivery too much.

Finally, I'm a bit torn on top-caps. I could stick with the CK - nothing wrong with that. I have one of the newer Kona est. 1988 flat ones that's nice but doesn't look quite right with the bigger bolt. If anyone has something interesting that's black, I'm open to ideas :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 am 
Old School Grand Master

Getting there.

Before:

After:

I'm just waiting on the replacement CT stem; same length (135mm) but with 5 degrees rise. I draw the line at 0 :lol: Fingers crossed it arrives this week. If it does then I should be able to cable up and get fettling. In the meantime here she is:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Drool!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 am 
Old School Grand Master

At last the clouds parted last Sunday and I had time to get some half-decent pictures of the build. I'd finished it at the start of the year but it's been too gloomy, wet or both. These still don't do the bike justice so come on spring so I get her out there with a ride report and some proper shots.

The more I see her battle scars, the more I can't wait to ride her. Like the Team Explosif, there's a certain liberation riding in anger and not worrying about a stone ding here or a falling with grace ejector seat moment (or three). Roll on the new season!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:27 am 
Retro Guru

Great frame, good choice of components = for sure a great ride :D
Well done and have fun with it :) one minor detail, I would change (the Yeti grips) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

8) or should that be Hot!

Very nice, look forward to more pics when its out and about, and maybe next to your Team Explosif too :)

Curious, is the paint the same on both frames, i mean the length of flame and style etc?

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Nope. It should be but it isn't. It's talked about in the Team Explosif thread. In a nutshell one is painted by Velographics/Altitude, one by Enigma or Hodaka/someone else (and in a hurry).

Last edited by al-onestare on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next