Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 am 
Retro Guru

Retro Spud wrote:
Can I ask an general question- why are the touring brake lever extensions referred to above as suicide lever?
They made great sence when I had a Raleigh Winner and a paper round - you never see them these days so the design must be flawed - but I loved them. My brother had a Competion with Modolo brakes and used to scoff at my weimanns

Nice save by the way -

Just by design they're a bit shite.....play in the linkages, flex in the material, they just don't pull the bike up well at speed. Maybe ok for scrubbing off a bit of a speed, or stopping at slower speeds......but generally a bit poo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:45 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

sherlylock wrote:
Retro Spud wrote:
Can I ask an general question- why are the touring brake lever extensions referred to above as suicide lever?
They made great sence when I had a Raleigh Winner and a paper round - you never see them these days so the design must be flawed - but I loved them. My brother had a Competion with Modolo brakes and used to scoff at my weimanns

Nice save by the way -

Just by design they're a bit shite.....play in the linkages, flex in the material, they just don't pull the bike up well at speed. Maybe ok for scrubbing off a bit of a speed, or stopping at slower speeds......but generally a bit poo.

I agree they are of no use in an emergency and are pretty poor at speed, but I think they do help with light breaking & on a touring bike you may as well have them just for comfort. I’m keeping them on my sons current project, his CB Cavalier, his first touring bike and I’m going to retro fit a pair to my Majestic for the same reason (comfort)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Ahhh......the excitement of finding those hard to find parts for sale that you never thought you'd find.....

Browsing facebook marketplace and I spotted an ad for a 1984 Raleigh Quasar which had been converted to a fixie and had been resprayed. Included in the sale were the original components......the wheels of which happened to be the same as the RRS - black concave Weinmann Rims and black Malliard hubs...the rear being the slightly quirky helicomatic. A couple of messages back and forth with the seller and I arranged to buy the wheels for £20

They need a fair bit of work to make nice again.....a few dinks and scuffs - but generally straight and usable. I think they'll clean up nicely.

So chuffed to have found them......bike is mainly back to original spec now.....albeit a mix of components fitted to various years of the RRS.

Also fitted - a black suede turbo re-issue - recently on offer at Planet-X bikes for £21 and cloth tressorex handlebar tape. Hopefully with a bit of effort tomorrow I'll be riding it to work next week.

Needs some tyres now......question is black or amberwall?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:58 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Nearly there :)
I'd probably go for black tyres.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 am 
Retro Guru

jimo746 wrote:
Nearly there :)
I'd probably go for black tyres.

I've got some black 700c tyres in the shed so I'll try them first.

Tempted to go for gold outer cables too - just seen that Jagwire sell gold cables on eBay.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:33 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Gold jags should be just the job.
And I fancy amber walls, I reckon they would sit well with the gold.

Nice finding those rims, I’ve never set out on a catalogue correct hunt specifically, but there’s nothing quite like it when you find the right parts!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm 
Retro Guru

PeachyPM wrote:
Gold jags should be just the job.
And I fancy amber walls, I reckon they would sit well with the gold.

Nice finding those rims, I’ve never set out on a catalogue correct hunt specifically, but there’s nothing quite like it when you find the right parts!

Ordered the Jagwire cables......and these too. Now wondering if there's such a thing as too much gold.......?

I've done a few catalogue spec rebuilds - quite enjoyable hunting down all the correct parts - but I had absolutely no intention of doing so on this particular build.....it just all sort of dropped into my lap.

Hopefully going to ride it in to work tomorrow all being well.

Also......I think it needs a black stem (as per later RRS models). Seen examples online and think it looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:22 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Black Rolls saddle would look good with the gold rails and badges. I do like the old RRS nice to see this one getting some love. Personally I'd go for gum wall tyres for that retro look.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

sherlylock wrote:

Ordered the Jagwire cables......and these too. Now wondering if there's such a thing as too much gold.......?

nope..... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Tel wrote:
Black Rolls saddle would look good with the gold rails and badges. I do like the old RRS nice to see this one getting some love. Personally I'd go for gum wall tyres for that retro look.

Yep - currently got it sat on some amberwalls that I also had lurking in the shed.....some Schwalbe Luganos. It does look good on them.

PeachyPM wrote:
sherlylock wrote:

nope..... 8)

Didn't think so! Hopefully the Jagwire cable will arrive tomorrow and by the weekend we'll be at peak-gold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next