Shimano XT M739 - play in pad holder assy

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've set up these Shimano XT M739 brakes. Quite a lot of play on each pad holder assy. A google tells me there is a tune up kit for these. Is this the problem that kit fixes? I haven't ran these yet so don't know if they squeal. Hardly any play in some later XTR versions I have. Does anyone one have any of these kits spare if they are the solution? If so please let me know price.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dimslKix14A&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Attachments

• m739vbraketunekit_2321_detail.jpg
    m739vbraketunekit_2321_detail.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 470
Lol you could have turned the radio down when you went all high tech on us and posted your own U-tube video

Or were you archiving a little bit of today at the same time ?

Sorry I can’t help you but the video is makes your problem super clear and easy to see

Retro Spud":2uxulom3 said:
Lol you could have turned the radio down when you went all high tech on us and posted your own U-tube video

I was in the 'fettling zone' & totally unaware! :D

Re:

Tune up kits are hard to come by (I have a stash for when I need to do my xtr ones). That said, the kit, aside from a shiny new linkage and the sticker discs, is essentially washers that take the play out. I've seen threads on here where washers from disc brake spacing have been used successfully to take out the play. Any thin washer will do, perhaps a few thin ones to build up the space whilst leaving the linkage room to move.

Re: Re:

ishaw":eeiwkyfb said:
Tune up kits are hard to come by (I have a stash for when I need to do my xtr ones). That said, the kit, aside from a shiny new linkage and the sticker discs, is essentially washers that take the play out. I've seen threads on here where washers from disc brake spacing have been used successfully to take out the play. Any thin washer will do, perhaps a few thin ones to build up the space whilst leaving the linkage room to move.

Aye - I think DIY is the way to go here! I probably have the tooling to make the covers & the shims. Could you let me know the ID/OD of the shims please? I will likely will try & get away using .1mm pop can stock.

Having looked closely at all the parallel push designs, it looks like Shimano actually solved
the slop by adding a small spring AND making tighter tolerances.

I think the spacer kit will solve any side to side play, but they would still bounce up and down if
still a bit loose.

Couple of shims pressed out of an empty deodorant can have fettled one side on horizontal axis. Hopefully OK in use.

Had one of the covers missing - also easily sorted. 10mm disc pressed out of same material, silver side out. Just got to get some thin double sided tape & apply that to the metal before pressing the disc out. I guess if you need black ones a can of Guinness might do the job!

Back