1996 Bontrager Privateer - AKA I finally managed to get one.

Re:

Tyres arrived so couldn't resist a test fit.

XyJAFE

Tyres look pretty good for £6 per end. They even have a folding bead.

More progress. What with a re-spray, new thomson seatpost, and a lovely columbus steel steerer tube this is going to end up being the most expensive privateer in history.

Just waiting for Gil_M to catch up on his post holiday workload and I'll have some new decals and can start to build her up.

azspJu

ddqEaD

Tp4W8H

Re:

Checking out what the forks look like while I'm waiting for my decals to arrive.

Unfortunately one of the bottle riv-nuts has come loose while I was fitting the bolt so I'll have to figure out how to get the bolt out again.

EDIT: Riv-nut was a complete pain. I couldn't get the bolt out all as the riv nut was just turning and couldn't get any purchase on it. In the end I applied brute force and wiggled enough the that the thread section broke away and then I sawed the bolt off. A bit more brute force got the collar out.

My LBS were brilliant and fitted a new riv-nut for me while I waited. Just a bit annoyed that my box fresh frame is no longer quite so box fresh.

axadhS

All built up bar pedals. I couldn't be more pleased with the way its turned out. I think some tan wall smoke and darts will be on the xmas list though.

g19BLG

The spare rigid forks may come in handy at some point

3oVsNZ

gJjHBk

BB6uh4

And just a reminder of how it arrived:

izthV4

Amazing what a difference a pair of tyres make. I swapped out WTB velociraptors for some ground control s-works and saved just over a 1lb in weight.

That bring the bonty down to about 26lbs which is much more in line with what I thought it should be.

vqYnVh

Back