French flag theme paint job

Frankenorange

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hello

My search for an old steel cx frame has come to an end as I am now the owner of a Bertin C34 cross frame. It is going to be a while before i get further than just removing a bit of paint to reveal 888 on the tubes and the numbers 56 and 8 on the left rear dropout but i have been thinking about paint.

Bertins came in many different colours and various decals during the 70's-80's so lots of flexibility there and i would like it to be a french/milremo build. What i did start wondering about is a french themed paint job say rear trainagle and forks one colour, main tubes another, lug lining/cutouts the third colour etc. Headtube could be same as main tubes or forks..... and so on in my head.

I thought i would run the idea by you and see if there is a combo that seems favourite . If the idea sounds completely naff on anything old then just say so and i will just go for lug lining on a one colour frame. Do like different colour head tubes tho.

Thanks in advance

Carl

I'm currently doing a French themed road build at the moment which I will do a build thread for in due course but I went for a pearl white base with red lacquer on the forks and head tube fading down the top and down tubes, and blues lacquer fading down the rear triangle.

It was harder to do than I thought so the only tube that stayed totally white was the seat tube but I'm still reasonably please with the result and am still collecting together all the French components I need to complete it.

There is one issue with doing a three colour flag scheme in this way in that the colours are only in the right order when viewed from one side of the bike.

Julianm - oh lord that EM is gorgeous. Ido really like belgian schemes and could go that route as some Bertins were Belgian built. it isnt going to be a catalogue/purist build so food for thought. Was going to save the belgium scheme for a Flanders region road frame if i ever get one.

Allenh - i had already thought about the left to right thing and Julianm's examples have me decided on some kind of horizontal scheme.

Carl

Latest posts

Back