Advice on frame spraying

wicket

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Any tips on stripping a frame ready for a rattle can respray?

I'm not looking for a perfect finish just presentable and protection against rust :)

Re:

Against rust - I assume its steel then. You could blowtorch + wire brush it off, sand it off, apply paintstripper, then if you really just want great protection and don't care what it looks like paint it with Rustoleum Combi-colour (better than hammerite used to be). Whatever you want, don't waste your time with rattle cans from Halfords etc - it will never be durable enough for a mountain bike.

Re:

If you search around, you will probably find all sorts of paint strippers described as the best, but I found that Wilkinson's paint stripper was absolutely fine - just follow the instructions. When the stripper had been given enough time to do its stuff, I took the paint off with a shave hook. Usually, there was some undercoat left after that, but it came off with wet and dry fairly easily. I could probably have left that on, though. The angles where tubes meet are the only fiddly bits.

Respraying sufficiently well to protect the frame and survive knocks is the tricky part and you could end up spending as much on spray paint as a cheap powder coater might charge. You will need undercoat - possibly two different types, depending on the final colour you want - spray of the colour you want, then lacquer. And probably more than one can of each. Because you have to spray from a distance, there's a lot of wastage.

Durability is the issue, then. Rustoleum might be worth a try (as mentioned above). Spray paint designed for alloy wheels should be pretty tough but I've never tried it to confirm that.

Good luck with it.

wicket":2c1kymfi said:
Any tips on stripping a frame ready for a rattle can respray?

I'm not looking for a perfect finish just presentable and protection against rust :)

Given your statement, I agree with Mr Self above get it powder coated

By the time you’ve pissed about with paint stripper and bought etch primer, paint and possibly a clear top coat you’ll be in for a few quid and the finished paint will still chip off .... powder coat is cheap and can be as hard as nails
I’d urge you to consider your options first

I totally agree on the above, recently had to face this with a 'well used' set of Pace RC30 forks I bought. I popped the legs out, took them to the local powdercoaters, they blasted all the old paint off and powder coated them satin black for £20... given the time/mess and cost of buying paints, it was money well spent IMO.

Re:

Paint stripper is not what it used to be thanks to EU rulings. Paramorse is good if you can get your hands on it but unless your restoring a pukka £££ frame then by the time you've bought paint stripper, wire brushes, sandpaper, rattle cans/tins paint/thinners then powder coating is probably the way forward unless you value your labour at pence per hour.

Back