1st project - Alpine Stars Cro-Mega LX 1989

Welcome to the site matey. You wont find a more helpfull bunch of people than those on here!
I stumbled across the site about 6 months ago while looking for info on a Cannondale I had just bought on ebay.
Have since bought this Alpinestars....
DSC00704.jpg

and bought and sold a few bits for it.
Mine is mainly LX/STX with Mavic 217 rims on Parallax hubs. I sold the LX levers/shifters and bought some DX levers and some 6/7 speed XT thumbies. Also have some replacement bar ends to fit when I get 5 mins!
Really happy with it now but that doesn't stop me looking for more :LOL:
My next plan is to bring the dale back from Germany (I left it there as I spend a lot of time there on training courses) and give it a full restoration.
This is if I dont see another bargain like my Alpinestars :D

Hi mate,

welcome to the site.

Definately keep it original and go DX ;)

Funny thing as soon as I noticed Ed had posted I was looking for the word "patina" :LOL:

Chris.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I didnt realise AlpineStars were so popular ;)

Ive been busy all weekend buying new caravans and cars, but did manage to wash the Cro-Mega and have a better look at its condition.
The frame is actually in pretty good nick tbh, its covered in stone chips (or Patina ;)) and there are a helluva lot of scratches, but Im fairly sure I will be able to polish most of these out with some T-Cut and elbow grease. Sadly the cable guide from the bottom of the BB is missing, so I'll need to try and find one on eBay or somewhere.

I spent an hour routing through ma "Box o Bits" and found a good few of the original upgrades that I fitted, apart from the canti's which are from my first Trek 9800. I may see if I can find some older DX canti's just to keep the faith (so to speak).

dx.jpg

canti.jpg

The chainset is also a bit out of kelter as I seem to think that the AS came with full size Bio-Pace rings, and the DX one I have is micro-drive.
The spuds look pretty good although one pair appears to have lost its balls :eek: and I obviously decided at some time in the past to grit-blast them to make them look better??

pedals.jpg

Thunbies are ok, need a clean up, as do both mechs and possibly some new jockey wheels for the XT rear. Brake levers are original upgrades bought at the same time as some Dia-Compe canti's and seem in good order again, just needing a clean.

thumb.jpg

mech.jpg

lever.jpg

Ive also found an old 7spd cassette, but its an old road one so whilst the spacers will be ok for me to use, obviously the ratio's are wrong. Im damned if I can remember the old 7spd MTB ratio though, something like 13-28 was it? Perhaps if anyone knows, they could just post the sprocket sizes for me, I have a box full of loose sprockets so should be able to knock one together from that.

I'll post another update when Ive had a chance to polish the frame a bit better. I might even give my kids a cloth and some T-Cut to earn a bit of pocket money......

Pickle":3boq8t85 said:
Is this going to be done in time for the Lincoln ride! ;)

hehe, I could certainly bang it together in time and then strip it all off to re-do it, but to be honest, my Trek is still on V brakes and 8spd XT.......does that count as Retro? :oops:

ooooh thats sweet :D

I cant believe you still have the original saddle, I did have but fitted it to a bike that I sold about 3 yrs ago :(

Got it last year off Ebay completely original right down to the tyres, grips and seat :cool:

Latest posts

Back