How much abuse can a Hei-Hei handle

Re: Re:

Trialsmeister":2nmub516 said:
Evening team. Good to hear and see the machinery still getting used in anger!

My nearly 25 year old Zaskar recently got a revamp and a 'zochhi' FLA24's, magura mt4 disc front and evo rear rim upgrade. The levers match near perfectly after swapping both clamps for silver.

It's now a tough decision, whether to take this, or the full modern, round the local trails. Had it down the full red at Glentress, up my way last Saturday and it never even felt like hard work. I had a mega smile on my face all day. Worst to happen was, I stupidly power washed some more of the still original decals off.

A lot will scorn at the sacrilege, I like to ride my bike. Ride them, they want to be free!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v8slyQ8qI2ZCp8ZR2

Hope the pics work if not I'll try edit.

Regards, Mick.
Now your talking my language. Ive still got a 98 chameleon which has been through many phases and now has modern parts on it and i still love thrashing the s#i@ out of it. The reason i want to do up the hei hei as a good fun mountain bike is that i loved my old lava domes geometry and it just inspired hooliganism. The people saying to stick a noodley light sus fork on it dont get why i want this bike. I might just get a fox 36 coil chopped down to 80mm on it just to make a few people get sleepless nights!
Steve pete had a kona hei hei. Do you think he just minced about on his! Haha.
Nice build by the way, ive got an old 97-98 avalanche le frame that you may have just inspired me to rebuild

cce":fbg8qlvy said:
andyparle":fbg8qlvy said:
cce":fbg8qlvy said:
i'd be on the lookout for a fox F80 or 80mm travel Rockshox reba if it were me.
I would certainley kill either of those forks, being 13.5 stone and reckless! if its 80mm Ive got a magura that I can set the travel lower (its at 120mm right now but can be set internally). Either that or a marzocchi 4x.

An F80 or a Reba will be more than up to the kind of riding a frame like that is sensible for
Nah. Konas are for thrashing and certainley not for being sensible. These comments are just making me want to build it hardcore as possible, might even stick a mssive tioga downhill saddle on it and my steve peat signature stem....

Hey its your bike, i dont think anyone will be really that upset if you decide to stick newer forks on it, plenty already have.

I think people were just offering opinions and advice based on your question, and as for Steve Peat, he ran what in your opinion is a noodly fork :facepalm: but hey :)

Those old zocchis always looked so dodgy to me. All advise is taken gratefully, but most replies will be given sarcastically!

andyparle":2hmy88j7 said:
Those old zocchis always looked so dodgy to me. All advise is taken gratefully, but most replies will be given sarcastically!

Hey Andy, thanks for the comps on the GT! I built it again, as a Xmas pressie to myself (and it)! It's no pageant winner but it rides well for me.

I've had it from new and it's not been ridden since around 2000. It was rigid on p2's (kona connection after all!)- airing on street trials built before.

That said it wouldn't ever manage my fastest runs down Glentress, I'd take the Bronson for that... Tho at the modest speeds it achieves, you feel like your really flying on it. It's ace fun. It's an outstanding climber, also stiff - non flexy and flickable all at the same time,

If I could work out how to edit on this iPad and upload some of the go pro stuff to the tube, it would explain what I mean!

All the best, heihei is on the bucket list, let us know what you opt for!

Mick

Back