Stuck Stem Wedge

If that doesn't work I recommend turning the frame upside down and going in from the bottom ( :shock: )

Use a piece of metal rod (rebar is perfect) and give it some with a proper hammer. The steerer above should be reasonably clean (since the stem came out ok) so it will probably come out easier the way it came in. The metal bar will have less flex than the quill bolt so more oomph transferred to the wedge :)

raidan73":1tok67wr said:
If that doesn't work I recommend turning the frame upside down and going in from the bottom ( :shock: )

Use a piece of metal rod (rebar is perfect) and give it some with a proper hammer. The steerer above should be reasonably clean (since the stem came out ok) so it will probably come out easier the way it came in. The metal bar will have less flex than the quill bolt so more oomph transferred to the wedge :)

Sounds like a great idea ... I'll locate a metal bar and get stuck in!

I'm not gloating but i think i've only had this issue once as i remember i re attatched the stem and bolt so the bottom of the head of the bolt was level with the top of the stem then i whacked it with the hammer which loosend the wedge allowing me to pull and waddle the stem at the same time which free'd the wedge from what i remember i had a sore wrist afterwards so be careful and fingers crossed you'll win out ;) .

Thread-resurrection time :shock:

Update: I blocked the bottom of the steerer tube with some plasticene, sprayed the wedge with liberal amounts of Plusgas, and left it to soak overnight. I then inverted the bike, blocked the top of the steerer tube, sprayed some more Plusgas, screwed the stem bolt into the bottom of the wedge ... and the wedge came loose after four knocks with a small hammer! :cool:

I recommend Plusgas for dislodging stem wedges :twisted:

Back