B*gger

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
:? Oh feck, think one of my chimney breasts needs re-pointing or something,
moisture running down the interior wall....and I'm skint. :x

or a cap fitting on the top of ya chimney....or is the water on the outside not the inside of the flume?

Good point, didn't explain. The breast has long since been bricked up etc. The
water/dampness is running from the ceiling/wall join.
Does that make sense.
Need to get up on the roof and have a look....but not me....scared of heights :roll: :LOL:

thats ya flashing guv...not a big job unless ya stacks moving away from the side of the house.quick couple of hours of pointing with some 2 to 1 cement mortar and daves ya best friends uncle....no worries..

flasing being the lead that joins between the stack and the roof tiles....done lots of this but your a bit far away to help....

Was the chimney cleaned/swept before it was bricked up?

If not and all the soot/crap is left in the stack it'll catch any moisture, and eventually it'll find its way through.

PS: what is your avatar?

Pickle":2am2w0ra said:
Was the chimney cleaned/swept before it was bricked up?If not and all the soot/crap is left in the stack it'll catch any moisture, and eventually it'll find its way through.
PS: what is your avatar?

No idea fella, was done years ago :?

Avatar is my cranks...bit too small :LOL:

So how much do you reckon...to get someone in to do it...are we talking £250???

if its the flashing a typical builder will repair using the original lead and charge for 1 days labour(about 100 ponds).if the lead has had it im sorry to say but it will cost a lot more as that stuff isnt very cheap..if its the pointing he may charge as a joblot or by the square meter pending on how much of it needs doing.they may remove the old pointing in other areas and replace while they are there.thiswould be a good idea as you dont want to have to get thm back later to do more work.

when i do jobs like this you have to charge for a whole day even if it only takes half because you arent left with much time afterwards to go to another job(time taken to set up equpitment ect)......why not get a local builder to do you a quote ...wont cost you very much in the long run as they would include it in the price of the finished job(if they are good builders that is)ask around with people you know who they suggest as they will tell you what kind of experience they had and who to use...... :)

Back