Marin pine Mountain

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
So after the last couple of months of difficulties it's safe to say I was more than happy when a large box arrived at my front door because I knew exactly what was in it. Within 5 minutes the box had been ripped open and this was sat on my sofa.

A 1992 (I think) Pine mountain in very good condition for a 25 year old bike. Now I've been staring for hours on end at the 1992 Marin catalogue and I would absolutely love to build a catalogue spec bike but alas, finances wouldn't allow me to buy the parts needed. This is going to be a mix of parts bin special (what I've got left over from my community group) and anything I can find cheap. I've managed to source a lot of parts (only a measly 200gs spec but that's all I have lying around and lets face it, I can't afford the deore xt it came with) but I'm sure a lot of people will agree, it's not what's on the bike that counts as long as you still enjoy it.

It's going to be a slow progress build, getting parts gradually but it will just make the finish worth it even more.

I've managed to find a nice shimano crankset, just need to try and get my head around this chainline thingimajig to work out what bottom bracket length I need.

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,105
Re:

Great project.

My fave year for marin colour schemes.

For me, and yes it's getting cold and muddy out there! Just take your time with it rather than settle for parts bin offering. It is your bikea at the end of the day though.

Make this a long haul project. Deore DX and LX is adequate.

That's what marin called a 17.5" frame with 153mm threaded forks.

Re:

I have toyed with the idea of waiting for better parts to come up and there's no rush for it to be built as it's not needed for any of my events (got my moderns for racing, well when I'm actually able to race again, can barely walk at the moment) so it may well happen. Maybe not to exact catalogue spec but with better parts nonetheless (Deore LX sounds fine to me)

Cold and muddy is my favourite riding time :LOL: . Good job I like cleaning bikes as well as riding them.

Now back up to 3 marins ;)

this, my 2000 muirwoods (my precious) and a 2014 rocky ridge I built for my racing.

Re:

Great frame, if you've got the time then I'd also hold out for better parts. If you're happy to do some cleaning up, then DX and XT bits can be bought for reasonable prices.

I built a 92 Eldridge a couple of months back although it's the earlier paint scheme. It rides really well.

Untitled by Mac74, on Flickr

Re:

It's looking like I will be holding out for better parts. Pine mountain is one of the few Marins I've not owned and as soon as I saw it I had to have it. Parts wise will see what comes up (it's only really the front and rear mechs and a set of brake levers I need as have shifters already from another Marin)

wasn't this a high end frame? With tange triple butted or prestige? I'd fit XT or XTR if correct time line.

Re:

I think it was the one of the best in the lineup just below the team titanium/issue (can't remember which) but yeah it had Deore XT originally. I'm going to be keeping an eye on ebay etc in the hope that something comes up cheap enough for me to afford (hence waiting because at the moment I can't afford a set of tyres for it) but for now it's tucked up safely in the collection (or what I have left)

That will be a lovely bike when built MarinMartin, mine was......

I still have the frame-

aGK29iF.jpg

It was modified in 93 by a partially sighted Lakeland farmer in a series Land Rover, along with my Tibia & Fibula-

sA3sHhK.jpg

If I remember right (which I maybe don't) I got a good deal because it was the "old" model, so either it was a 91 or new models were coming in?

jIGsYaH.jpg

Back