Do you prefer to collect a Specific Brand or Brands & Why ?

the way its rides. The rear wheel just digs in. The space. Like riding a uni cycle. The rear is forgiving over the rough. Only one down side is they can get to much attention for non cyclists and some cyclists. Taking the frame to the repairers. First youth asks 'is that carbon?' the odd ball man says if i drop carbon it will shatter like glass!! wrong. Move to a different part of the train. Then at the next station change death by a 1000 question from a man. Why can't people just not.

tintin41":1orkd02t said:
the way its rides. The rear wheel just digs in. The space. Like riding a uni cycle. The rear is forgiving over the rough. Only one down side is they can get to much attention for non cyclists and some cyclists. Taking the frame to the repairers. First youth asks 'is that carbon?' the odd ball man says if i drop carbon it will shatter like glass!! wrong. Move to a different part of the train. Then at the next station change death by a 1000 question from a man. Why can't people just not.

You see, thats the kind of detailed review I can really relate to. There are unique and definite features of this frame design and the ‘ride’ that make a Trimble ‘special’. I will add it to my list of bikes to try before you die !

So many early Ti frames were very flexy, especially in the BB region. They sucked up all your energy climbing as they flexed, tyres breaking traction constantly during the power phase and they were scary with an unpredictable speed wobble on descents.

Re: Re:

M-Power":2ud23zoh said:
This thread indicates the power of early ‘imprinting’ and the emotion attached to owning and riding bicycles. Very much the same Damascus experience as THM, when i saw up close and finally got to ride my first FAT. I am more in the ‘i like it cos it rides better camp’. The FAT City Cycles zany ads and antics also appealed to my nature too.

The bicycle industry focuses so much on the technical improvements, styling etc maybe they are missing a big reason why people buy these bikes. I cant really believe that there is such a huge difference in ride and handling between most of the ‘halo bikes’ these days, as they look so similar. So what would pull you towards following a certain brand...in perpetuity maybe ?

To be fair the modern bikes differ as much as the retro ones did, probably more. Iconic paint jobs did as much for the old stuff as the geometry. Two similar looking bikes can be poles apart, just as they always were.

M-Power":11xa0i7q said:
So a strong appreciation of the design and engineering of components is another ‘bonding factor’ :?

Not really, I'm an obsessive compulsive aspie with a inane love of round things and a well developed cover story ;) :LOL:

dyna-ti":2uh9q30q said:
M-Power":2uh9q30q said:
So a strong appreciation of the design and engineering of components is another ‘bonding factor’ :?

Not really, I'm an obsessive compulsive aspie with a inane love of round things and a well developed cover story ;) :LOL:

There are plenty of them on here :mrgreen: I’m a weld fetishist ;)

al-onestare":7d12xrh7 said:
Do I need to answer?

The early Marins always had such a ‘consistent’ nice ride feel to them from the base models upto the top. Then they lost the plot quality wise from 97/8 iirc but Kona never did. I only ever owned an 89 Splatter Explosive which rode like a dream. Lent it to a mate for a SDW ride and that was it, he had to have it off me. They are probably the most consistent ‘great riding’ of the mass produced bikes. They just never made a ‘meh’ bike.

I tend to like boutique Canadian brands, but my budget is non existent so you tend to see a lot of Japanese/Taiwanese stuff in my garage.

dirttorpedo":o8l2k4r7 said:
I tend to like boutique Canadian brands, but my budget is non existent so you tend to see a lot of Japanese/Taiwanese stuff in my garage.

Seen a few fair priced Brodies up for sale on FB recently. Just swop the parts over or trade up a few of the mass produced bikes for that dream machine !

Back