Clear Coat Over Sandblasted Aluminum

npn

Retro Guru
Finally got to my project that started here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=363061

I had the '96 Marin Nail Trail frame sandblasted - or I should say media-blasted to get rid of the anodized layer and some of the chips and nicks. Now the frame looks very raw - like sparkly whitish gray kind of porous raw. It would take a ton of work to polish it and don't think it's worth the time.

So the question is - can a clear coat like VHT be put over freshly sandblasted aluminum? No primer, no paint. It should definitely stick, I'm more concerned about durability and actually turning smooth.

Re:

Personally I go with a clear powder coat

It's far more Durable

Cheaper than a clear coat done with Two pack

Yeti did it on their factory frames

Where I'm at in the US, clear powder coat (stage 1 - one layer) costs about $65. 3 cans of VHT Clear Coat costs about $40. Not a big difference I know, but it's something I want to do myself, so I'll give it a try. I think I should be able to put about 4 coats total.

npn":38058021 said:
Where I'm at in the US, clear powder coat (stage 1 - one layer) costs about $65. 3 cans of VHT Clear Coat costs about $40. Not a big difference I know, but it's something I want to do myself, so I'll give it a try. I think I should be able to put about 4 coats total.

Do yourself a huge favor and call this guy first. Oliver use to work for Spectrum Powderworks before they sold off their bike arm and was the master in my opinion. He's just getting going and may be able to offer you a good price here in the US.

http://www.darkmatterfinishing.com/about

I doubt if your frame was ever anodised after seeing the pictures. Lacquer, clear coat, what ever you like to call it, was more common.

Aluminium oxidises quicker than you can type so whatever you use, it will eventually bubble and start to peel.

See if anyone does ball burnishing - that gives a finish that can last for years.

Re:

I didn't realize the original picture was gone, so here I repost it. It looks very shiny so you guys might be right:

00ESf1V.jpg

Re:

This is how the frame looks like after it was sand/media blasted. My plan is to apply the clear coat straight on.

qjcTNEq.jpg

I'd leave that as it is. Any coating now would start peeling very quickly. powder coat might hang around a bit longer.

Back