F1...its a farce!

coming from a racing background myself i really cant see what LH did wrong? He backed off & relented the position and then attacked again something all racers do all the time. Had he of been so far back prior to the incident that he would be unable to slipstream before the incident then yes he should be penalised as he gained an advantage BUT the incident was on the second corner of the chicane by then he was alongside the ferrari, so he gained no advantage from cutting the course only ended up where he was before the incident.
Racing rules are fairly universal and this rule isnt open to interpretation its cut and dry, i spoke to a few friends who work in F1 (Williams and red bull) and the feeling in the paddock is just that ferrari get what they want when they want it sod the rest. like when BE used to openly support schumacher the organisers shouldnt do that!

well mclaren have launched thier appeal today,they have the real experts on the team not the forum know it all's so if they have launched the appeal they must feel they have grounds to win..

konahed":hbwl1ocr said:
So that's Alex Wurz and Jarno Trulli both saying Hamilton deserved the penalty.

My god they're wheeling out the big guns then! Who next Marc Gene?

Well I'm glad Mclaren have submitted an appeal...it will be 'pi**ing in the wind' no doubt but at least they havn't just rolled over and accepted the stewards ridiculous ruling.

Harryburgundy":1s6npovf said:
Well I'm glad Mclaren have submitted an appeal...it will be 'pi**ing in the wind' no doubt but at least they havn't just rolled over and accepted the stewards ridiculous ruling.
I actually don't think the decision is ridiculous myself, but I do think that Billinjah's point is absolutely the key to it - if you take the starting point to be LH (rightfully) alongside KR, then he didn't gain any advantage relative to that starting point, in fact a disadvantage. But the stewards aren't taking that as the starting point.

The authorised version is that gaining an advantage should be measured relative to if he had meekly followed KR through the chicane. i.e., the 'naughty, naughty, no racing now, you might do something dangerous!' doctrine.

billinjah":1sm9biaf said:
coming from a racing background myself i really cant see what LH did wrong? He backed off & relented the position

He backed off into Kimi's tow as Trulli said. How sporting.

Anthony":qrbv82r8 said:
Harryburgundy":qrbv82r8 said:
I actually don't think the decision is ridiculous myself, but I do think that Billinjah's point is absolutely the key to it - if you take the starting point to be LH (rightfully) alongside KR, then he didn't gain any advantage relative to that starting point, in fact a disadvantage.

Starting point??? He was trying to overtake round the outside and it did not work, therefore you would expect him to end up well behind Kimi since he left the track.

konahed":5yeu6e38 said:
billinjah":5yeu6e38 said:
coming from a racing background myself i really cant see what LH did wrong? He backed off & relented the position

He backed off into Kimi's tow as Trulli said. How sporting.

I must disagree..again :LOL: Watch the video, he wasn't in Kimis tow at all.

Yeah ok, but he wasnt even a car length behind. He went off the track after trying an over-ambitious manoeuvre, he should have held back a bit and tried again after Eau Rouge

Back