Modern Groupsets - How good are they ?

Well not just the chainrings all of DX .

Pace got used a lot as well (East Yorkshire/Hull (UK) here) but DX just never lasted the way XT did.

Which brings it back to my original question, which was what is the new stuff like

:LOL:

New stuff is ace - works when you need it to, is inexpensive and lasts a good time. I am still tempted to go modern on my build as I think it would carry it off...

I like Sram stuff most at the mo... I'm running 1x9 X-7 on my Trailstar and it works faultlessly. I like how the shifts are really snappy.

South Bound":3ufv2y97 said:
New stuff is ace - works when you need it to, is inexpensive and lasts a good time. I am still tempted to go modern on my build as I think it would carry it off...

That's not my experience. My Whyte is XT specced and the shifting is constantly going out and requires adjustment. At times I feel like I'm using a pre-selector.

XT Thumbies on the other hand....

That's the trouble with (modern) Shimano, you're always fettling, the indexing is always going out of sync & as soon as you get any muck in the cables they play up like hell.

I've converted to Sram X9 & X7 for the last 2 years, still shifting spot on with no fettling required.

Still use an XT cassette & Shimano Deore front mech, but for the rear mech & the shifters: Sram x9 on the susser & X7 on the hardtail.

Modern kit is great, mate. I've ran 9 speed for years and found it very reliable.
The only weak points seems to be that the front mechs don't last too long, unless it's XT or a conventional (top-swing) type, and the chainrings on XT cranks wear quite quickly, though the newest XT cranks have a steel middle ring to combat this.
Personally I always go for a Deore crankset, XT rear and front mechs then Deore/LX/XT mix for the rest. This seems to last ages, shifts beautifully and is cheap. Never had any problems with ghost shifting or the like either.

I must say thing have not advanced that much.

This new hyped HollowTech II for weight savings blah de blah.

Well LX M581 weight = 980g

My old XTR M900 + UN90/91 BB comes in at around = 935g

Not really an advancement in the 16 years that have gone by.

Well things have'nt advanced much mechanically - the chain still sits on a toothed ring which is attached to a pedal arm - the only advancements have came in the manipulation of the material and the materials themselves which has made cranks stiffer and lighter.

You are comparing XTR to LX. The new M970 XTR comes it at 785g all up and how much was the XTR kit back in '94 - £150 plus? LX H2 are available for £60, the Deore H2 for £38. Now thats advancement!

use 07/08 XT & XT-R excellent kit. except the BB bearings are rubbish.

Back