Tamiya RC Cars

Re:

First one I got was a Boomerang, fantastic it was!
Did a race meeting, and won the day overall. Hadn't even joined the club then, so I did afterwards :oops:
Packed away in the top box of my Honda CB100, along with my little shield, happy as larry.
Also had a Wild One, great steering on that, and a Big Foot I think it was called. Fast but steering wasn't as good as the other two.
They were all good for chasing the cat around the garden too! :LOL: :LOL:
Then got a Williams F1 car for the tarmac oval at the club. Fast as hell, but not easy to control after a spin.
Happy days.
Oh crikey, I can see an eBay search coming on :facepalm:

Thanks for sharing/taking me back ;)

Mike

I used to race (at club level) Mini's (MO3 chassis, started with a Mini shell and went through a few, last one was a Vaxhaull Corsa) indoor a few years ago after my divorce. stopped when I met my current other half. Still got all the stuff though.

Re:

Seems like the Boomerangs were pretty popular, no wonder they're so hard to find these days, especially in good condition...

Very tempted by the Egress re release next...

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2pxigraf said:
Oh crikey, I can see an eBay search coming on :facepalm:
Mike

thats how it ends every time :LOL:

those vintage Tamiya RC stuff tends to fetch top money on ebay and even at the small eds people asking crazy money - my favorite was a guy over here in Austria trying to sell his 80's Audi Quattro for € 600 and it was quite used. :shock:

Re:

That is crazy.

The most expensive one I've seen was a NIB Blazing Blazer for about $4k. Silly money.

Most are realistically priced or can be with a bit of bartering. The best ones are in Hong Kong or Japan but come with heavy import costs unfortunately.

Vintage (late 80s) tamiya probably gets good money on eBay as most of them weren't actually very good as race cars compared to the competition, so mostly owned by kids.

Sorry, I meant destroyed by kids.
So many of them ended up in the bin. I know both my tamiyas did. The optima mid I had was sold on and did another two or three seasons..

Even the avante and egress were bloody awful to actually drive. Despite the tech that went into them.

The current TRF stuff is very tidy, but last news I saw was that there was no support in the UK and virtually none in Europe........

Re:

Still have my original Sandscorcher from 79 plus various spares. All the neighbours had them and we used to build obstacle courses and race etc. Very addictive.

Re:

You've all missed the heyday for retro Tamiya. I remember a time when eBay was full of potential projects of every model you could think of with plenty of bargains up for grabs. I made a few mint buggies up from pinching parts from 4 or 5 donors. :cool:

Seems now that the resource has dried up and what is available gets hoovered up by the professional splitters. Ring any bells?

In other news, I'm considering a re-release egress purchase paid for by bike sales. The circle is almost complete!

Re:

It's got sentimental value for me plus it looks cool in the cabinet. I was frikin obsessed with this thing and used to hang out in Michaels models in Parkway Camden :LOL: or ride upto that model shop in Finchley.

Re:

I was into this a bit before RBs, somewhere in the loft is a Astute, Vanquish, Terra Scorcher, Fire Dragon, Schumacher Pro Cat and a few more modern ones.

Would love a re-issue Egress, Hot Shot and a vintage Optima Mid :cool:

Back