Anyone here with a Ken Ryall?

http://bellevuerdbowlingclub.tumblr.com/ If you look half way down this page there is a Ken Ryall that could be a ringer for my mystery frame, except I cannot make out the details clearly enough to be sure. I feel a bit funny creating a tumblr account for the sole purpose of pestering someone about a serial number on an old bike. As far as I can tell this operation is in the Bristol area, which is half a stage-race from my location! So I'm asking if there is anyone in the Bristol area who knows these people, if you could point them in the direction of my thread here, that would be right neighbourly of you folks! Thanks.

Hi torqueless
I was just doing an image search on the web for Ken Ryall bikes when I came across your post. That will be my other tumblr you linked to there. My main tumblr is http://velosalvage.co.uk/ and that has lots more up to date photos of my beloved 1974 Ken Ryall which I shall be riding this year (2015) at Eroica Britannia. Since the photos you looked at the Ken has under gone a total retro re-fit, is in excellent condition and rides like dream

Re:

Velo Salvage.. you done bumped me right outa the archives!
Just had a look at your Tumblr...that's great that you got that one back on the 'road'- or 'the screaming highway' as I call it... :) Mine was a pretty similar colour in it's last iteration, but somehow I just cannot stop painting my bike.. :x
I see I threatened to post pics upthread, so here is one:
bike2006.JPG

If you are in a position to answer the question in the first post of page one of this thread I am all ears...
... maybe I should also apologise to Midlife while I'm here for my alchohol-fuelled flight of imagination upthread :)

Re:

Hi torqueless, regarding serial numbers, You know my Ken is always getting striped down and messed around with but there are no serial numbers on my steer tube just four numbers on the BB shell and they are '1474' and a small diamond shape with the letters 'EO'. I've just posted some photos on my tumblr http://velosalvage.co.uk/of my Ken before it got its make over so you can have a close look at the stamps on the frame.

Looking at your Ken Ryall I'd say we have almost the same frame and almost the same colour as yours was in that photo, has your down tube got bottle cage braze ons? as mine doesn’t . What size is your frame? mines 56cm seat post & 56cm top tube. Looking at the photo of your Ken I'm guessing its a 58cm.

Anyway, if you're ever in the Easton part of Bristol Wednesdays from 4pm at the Greenbank a few of us have Bike Club which is a few middle aged geezers being vintage bike geeks and drinking lots of beer.

Cheers Skip

Re:

Thanks for putting up the photos Velo Salvage. That's a great help. I too had my number on the bracket but the shell was replaced some years back. Anyway, the fact that your number has no 'K' or 'R' seems to have scotched my theory that their presence in my number might be anything to do with Ken Ryall.

Yeah my frame has bottle-cage bosses- the kind that sit on the tube rather than the kind that are set into it. They may have been added later, along with under-the-bracket cable routing- and yes, it is about 58cm c-t, I still call it 23", think the top tube is about 22 1/2" c-c

My best guess is that mine was built by Stan Pike. Yours could have been too. Maybe the one ridden by John Woodburn in Nob's pic also.

Now I'm idly wondering whether Jack Hearne or Dave Russell ever built for Ken Ryall? All in the Slough/West London area.

Back