Bouncy Bouncy...WARNING MODERN CONTENT

Yesterday just followed the black route. I know another loop which branches off it, but i wouldn't claim to be an expert :LOL:
Quite short 10-15 miles i think

Sithlord":1eslvy5s said:
I am not sure on the weight as yet, I estimate it to be around the 28lb mark, , which is really heavy after being so used to superlight hardtails..

I quite like the Pikes on it phil, may change and go for some fox's , the stem is a 100mm MG60 (retro ;) ) just put this on to assess the length of stem needed before I buy a lighter unit.. Cranks will be upgraded , and have my eye on something rather nice but costs £ 600+ :shock: but may just go for some new M971s and keep the superlight stuff for the next project ;) I have to say Phil I dont like the KCNC stuff. not saying its bad just not for me,, ;)
The Thomsons are'nt light Si, (I have several, nice but not light) the Easton will be a lot lighter, Fox's are'nt light either, Magura or DT are tho. I always find full suss is too sapping even with PP for XC and prefer a hardtail, but for the bumpy stuff would always go 4 bar link.

DT forks weigh in at 1695g for the XMC130 with 32mm stanchions, QR version £700

Magura Menja 130mm forks weigh 1710g ~£400

Fox Float RLC weigh in at 1700g for the 140mm travel 32mm stanchion QR versions ~£400-£500, depending on model year ('08/'09)

Personally I'd go Fox & save the £200 for cake....

Easton EA 90 stem is 125g £60-£70

Thomson Elite X4 is 171g £60-£75

For the weight saving of an EA90 stem, just take a dump before you ride, you'll easy lose the ~50g difference ;)

I'd try an go for a bolt through axle fork. I had some older 32mm Vanillas on originally and on the 125mm setting they did flex. :roll: The current Maverick DUCs suit it better, though i miss the small bump smoothness of the Vanillas. Could be tempted by some Fox 36s :twisted:

DT have some new sub 3 pound 80/100 forks out and so have Magura, Si is only fairly light, so these would save a hatful on weight, flex shouldn't be a problem.

Wold Ranger":oif8r5xx said:
DT have some new sub 3 pound 80/100 forks out and so have Magura, Si is only fairly light, so these would save a hatful on weight, flex shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, but 80mm/100mm forks will make the Yeti handle bloody awful, it's designed for 140-160mm forks.

Travel

If its run softer at the rear with more sag, as Si wants this for trail XC, not all Mountain, then the Geometry would come right. Fork Travel doesnt always indicate crown/axle length either, I've seen 140mm forks with the same crown axle length as 100mm models. A slightely shorter length will only sharpen up the handling a little and drop the front end-no bad thing really.
A lot of people are buying longer travel 5-6" bikes for all day trail use and then finding the extra weight and travel tiring and energy sapping. Great for the rougher downhill sections, but not so on the climbs and twisty stuff.

Suprised you haven't been round to the workshop Si to let me have a play on your new toy- is it a weight issue? Go on, I won't take the piss :D
Nice looking rig by the way- if only you could ride em :D :D

Additional Photos after todays , quick spin, through the local trails... :) Its growing on me , its no superlight bike, but its soo solid and comfy..got the handling dialed now, with a shorter stem and different settings on the dhx air shock .. enjoy.... I did... :) :) :cool:

SV202374-1.jpg

SV202355.jpg

SV202332-1.jpg

SV202308.jpg

SV202313.jpg

SV202315.jpg

SV202340.jpg

Back