Kona Future Shock fork

adamgent

Kona Fan
Wahoo! Just got these back from the spray shop! Many thanks to Gil for the superb decals.

1992 Future Shock forks were Joe Murrays first attempt at suspension. a whopping 1.2" of travel. Rebound was controled by tightening up the bolts!

Then redisigned as the Z-Link. If anyone has one send it this way!!

ygmjmp.jpg

more photos at http://adamgent.fotopic.net

Awesome piece of suspension history mate.. Have you ridden them yet? Must be similar travel to a flexstem [except it doesn't feel like the front end of your bike is about to work loose and fall apart]?

I bet the guy over at Konaretro.com would love to see one of those in working condition again.

I rode from a shop whose main line was Kona betweem 1992- and 1995, and we NEVER saw one of those in existence. The appeared on the explosif in the 1992 cataglogue (which is on the konaretro site) but thats it. Crazy.

Yep, Jawa has them for her Explosif Pro - which they were on in 1992. I was planning on building one up from my 1992 Explosif frame but I learned from Jawa that the frames were actually different - well in colour anyway.

The Explosif Pro is a kind of metalic black, as apposed to plain old black. as she had one it really did deserve to be on her bike. Also got bored of waiting to find a pair of Dewey bar end brake lever extensions and the Joe Murray rear brake booster.

I haven't been around these parts for a while so I don't know how the build is going.

I clicked "View New Posts" and was hit by 6 pages! Am still working my way through them!

yep, I still have these forks and I am moving slowly towards getting the rebuild done.....

I have found a place to respray my 02 explosif frame, it is the right metallic black frame now from the 92 explosif pro but after many, many years as my winter commuter bike it has damaged and chipped paint work. So it's getting a respray before i put the future shock forks on. Gil from this forum has made me the replacement decals for the frame now so I just need to get on and get it boxed up and sent off for the respray.

I have some of the original bits to build it back up with now (joe muray bottle cage with tool kit and bottle, original kona brake levels with threaded ends, xc pro front mech, kona saddle) but the rest will be some 'nice to haves' from around it's time, e.g. black syncro stem and syncros seat post as I don't want to wait too much longer looking for the correct bits, I can always swap bits over as I find them.

The future shock forks really do look cool though and I think the bike will look ace when finished but I am not sure I will ride those forks very hard though!

Back