mavic 231 cd

I think so. Light, strong and they aren't too narrow so tyres fit easily and setting up cantis on them is a doddle.

I think the silver versions are better though (and they tend to be cheaper too).

I don't like them in general, I find setting up brakes on their oddly angled and narrow braking surface a bugger compared to all the other rims and it is easy to have the pads catching on the tyres at some point on the stroke. 987 cantis being the worst with them.
That or they are soon have an edge of the pad going under the rim.

Pretty strong though, fairly light and the CD do look the business especially against amber wall tyres. The CD rims work best once you've worn past the dark anno.

I agree with the comments, they are retro gold though......the first must have rim for me!......

I was going to be picking up a pair this morning off gumtree. arranged collection for 10 this morning on my way I got a call to say that he had just sold them to a friend. I think someone else offered more money for them they where a bargain to only £20 with xt hub's. someone got a bargain :(

orangeone":2g8drghm said:
I was going to be picking up a pair this morning off gumtree. arranged collection for 10 this morning on my way I got a call to say that he had just sold them to a friend. I think someone else offered more money for them they where a bargain to only £20 with xt hub's. someone got a bargain :(
That is very poor form on the part of the seller. £20 with XT hubs would indeed have been an incredible bargain.

Despite their minor shortcomings, the M231is almost the iconic rim of the early nineties.
I have a few pairs of silvers but alas, no CD versions at present.

I think I may have one laced to a Hope Ti disk hub. The hub has cracked flanges but I could strip the wheel down. Can't remember if it's a CD, but pretty sure it is.

Back