Sabatini road bike

78Sabatni

Dirt Disciple
Just another older Italian bike to add to this forum I have had since 1978 - bought it new in Calgary, Alberta at International Bicycles. I have not lived there since 1980 but I sure put a lot of miles on the bike over the years! I am glad I kept it though and plan on purchasing a set of new Campy pedals and brake levers - period NOS if possible as the originals are a bit worn. I believe it cost 1,300.00 back then. I will add a few photos if possible - this is my first post being new to the forum.

img00851ub1.jpg

img00861qf7.jpg

img00871jc1.jpg

img00871nk1.jpg

img00881oo7.jpg

Here are some pictures for those interested. Over the last 30 years I have had to replace the rims, (and countless sew up tires) two inner chain rings, two freewheels, at least four chains, the original gum brake lever hoods and the seat - which was wrecked in a spill I took. The seat took most of the impact. It is a Cinelli from around the early '80's. Otherwise it is original. Good thing I always maintained it and only rode on nice days as the components lasted quite awhile before wearing out. The pedals as an example have never been repacked with grease and still spin smoothly - that is Campagnolo quality for you.

I meant to send this to the Retro Classic Road Forum! Is there any way of sending this post there? Thank you for any help!

Hi Sabatini,

Nice bicycle :) I also have several bicyles of the era. None of them bought new though. I weren't able to ride bicycle at the time :oops:

I will move your topic to the roadbike section, as I think there is where it belongs.

Thank you for moving the post - not sure how I goofed on that! I'm not as young as I would like - I was 22 in 1978 when the bike was purchased but at least I am still pedaling away. It is great to hear that you own some vintage models from back then. My only regret is that I did not buy one with the then new Columbus SL tubing - the shop owner advised against at the time due to the thought that the thinner tubing probably would not hold up in the long term. Those frames had fancier lugs and brazed on cable guides, and were Super Record equipped. One item on the one I own is the 54 T outer front chain ring, a bit uncommon and when using the lowest 12T cog on the freewheel made for some great speeds on the flats if you were drafting a car or truck!

The lugs on your bike already look 'fancy'.

I have been told the clamping of cables was common in those days as they believed/expected the brazing could damage the thin wall tubing.

What is that with the paint on the Campa parts? Is that original for Sabatini bikes or ...?

About the painted parts - it was quite common as you know for many manufacturers to machine their logo on various parts and paint them - in my case I did it myself. I have thought of using some solvent and take it off but somehow I feel it adds some flash without going too far. The seat post was painted when I bought it so I guess I went from there!

Regarding the brazing. Since they actually brazed the cable guides on the thinner SL tubing it really came down to availability. Once they were introduced frame builders were able to produce a cleaner look so I am sure the clamps were deemed a nuisance. And they certainly managed to wear the paint over time! I do not usually down load many pictures so forgive me if I get a little carried away and a few more. The closer I looked the more chips and scratches became evident - I guess it is a case of being a bit too picky - somehow I keep expecting a 30 year old bike that was ridden pretty hard to be as new.

img01211kp0.jpg

img01241qv7.jpg

img01261ad2.jpg

img01301na2.jpg

img01271ns5.jpg

img01291jw9.jpg

The yellow jersey dates to 1971 - at 15 years old I guess there were aspirations to be in a bike race - still too young to drive a car they were not on my mind anyway. I was more fascinated with the new Colnagos, Bianchis and even an orange Crescent (Swedish) that was in the display window of an old shop in Winnipeg ( where I grew up ). It was fully Campagnolo Nuovo Record equipped with Reynolds 531 tubing for 475.00 cdn. in 1972. Funny how I can still remember!

Super condition for a bike that's 30 years and - and regularly ridden. Top marks from me! :D

Back