Help me decide: Sunn vs slightly newer Sunn

henristig

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I have a dilemma. Lately I've been getting more and more hooked on Sunn, and after I discovered a NOS 1998 Vertik 2 for sale in the back of an old bike shop a while ago I decided I need to get it. The problem is I've also found a Sunn Xircuit from 2004 up for sale, and I can't really decide between them. Hopefully you guys can convince me one way or the other!

The pros and cons I've thought of for both bikes are as follows:

JOUcI8h.jpg

Sunn Vertik 2 1998, price £415

+completely unridden NOS
+steel
+looks
+I've heard the ride is pretty good
+quality built?
+maybe more desirable image-wise, classic Sunn
+Appealing geometry

-No disk brakes or mounts
-lower down the model range compared to the xircuit
-Price is a bit steep for such an oldie, especially when it's not at the top of the range
-not rigid (i want the chrome rigid forks with an old Sunn!!!)

2064798723.jpg

Sunn Xircuit 2004, price £330

+Price
+Hydraulic disks
+can fit wider tyres
+better for winter riding?

-Used (sat inside for the last couple of years though + always stored inside)
-not a good ol' Sunn (pre 1999)
-how's the quality? (I know mr. Commencal left Sunn in '98 and I've heard things started to go sour after that, did it affect the quality of the bikes/frames?)
-color (I know, a bit shallow, but c'mon it's beige! Ok, maybe more gold than beige, but a Sunn should always be chrome imo)
-(aluminum)

Basically I need your help deciding (convincing me). I'm torn in two directions here. Lay out your own viewpoints, pros and cons, and if someone knows something about the quality of post-2000 Sunns I'd be very happy to hear! Whichever one I choose I'm planning on going rigid with it, so no use making it a question about suspension tech.

'98 catalogue http://www.le-jurassien.com/sunn/catalo ... mmes98.php
Specs of the '04 Xircuit http://www.mtbchannel.com/gammes2004/Sunn/1489/Xircuit

Got to be the old one for me, and change out the forks when you get a chance.

Reasons?

1. Looks.
2. NOS bikes that old don't come up every day.
3. More modern used bikes do.
4. Looks.
5. Steel.
6. Looks. ;)

if you want to ride it, then the second more modern should be better - disc brakes would sell it to me.

if you want a museum oddity, then buy the first.

or buy them both!

Personally , I would go for the older NOS bike

It's steel , it looks cool , it is new , although it is lower in the range than a Xircuit it's still a new , good bike ..

The other one ? none of the above
Mike

As the owner of a 1998 Xircuit, I may be biased, but I think the older bike is the winner. That era of Sunn was the era of tidy, well-built steel frames. Just bear in mind that if you ever get the seat knicked it will be a pain to find a new seat post that fits as they are a size that doesn't really exist anymore.

Also, if it comes with the Obsys forks and you swap them for chrome ones, let me know as I would be very interested in the forks!

Perhaps for balance you should ask the question on a forum that isn't so retro-focussed...

I kind of agree with 02gf74. The more modern Xircuit will be a better riding bike. I had a 2002 Xircuit for a year or so back then ~ the frame geometry is great (maybe just a touch short in the top tube), works fine with 80 or 100mm forks. The tubeset isn't the best quality and is a bit on the harsh side compared to bikes further up the range, but it's ok for what it is. Fit and handling are more important than ultimate ride quality in my book.
The Vertik and other mid range steel framed Sunns from that time are really nothing to get excited about and the Obsys is truly awful! The only thing in it's favour is the way it looks ~ if that appeals to you :)

If you decide modern, a tip off of the whereabouts of the NOS one would be appreciated for a friend.

Cheers,

Back