Crud?

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Righto.. I just bought a set of Crud Catcher and Guard ( http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270030414968 and http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270030415071 ) and was wondering what the general consensus was on these?

I remember when these came out and Chipps [and pretty much everyone at MBUK at the time] strapped them to every bike they had.. I was suspect at the time, but somehow now am drawn to them for their Retro Appeal and almost cool look..

On the other hand, it might be that I've become the Squirrel of the Retro World and have an obsessive compulsion to buy anything bike related from the early '90s. :shock:

To be fair, the more I think about the Crud Catcher, the less I feel inclined to starp it to the Bonty.. Maybe I'll just stick with the Guard on the rear..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Love em, especially the old style guard that you have there rather than teh newer seat post clamping one. Looks good on a bike and does the job perfectly. Fallen out of favour now that freeride has said you must have risers and 2.5"tyres. Good score fella!

Cheers pete_mcc, I feel a small amount of creative engineering may be called for given the Bonty's apparent lack of rack mounts etc. :shock:

Then again, they could always go on the next project :D

I use mudguards all winter long as the trails here are literally 2in deep in surface water for most of the winter. the rear guards are pretty good. front ones dont follow the tyre when u turn (obviously) so I got a T.H.E under steerer mounted guard & thats a lot better (dryer!).

thats a mkII crud catcher... :) you want to find the original square one... :) much cooler... unfortunately mine was sold with an old reynolds frame that i had :(

but they do work well... and never clcg :) i use the newer seatpost crud guard when i venture out in the wet... takes less time to swap between bikes than the original (much groovyier) one that you have....

Top tip - if you have a sloping top tube you might be able to fit the type that clamps to your seatpost to the seattube on the frame itself. This means you can still drop your saddle.

I believe I still have the first gen. The one without straps, you click them on your frame, but only the non-oversized frames. I couldn't use them on my beer-can size LTS bike, only on my steel Batavus frame.

Back