2014 Rides ideas??

I have spoken to karl and he is up for another brewery ride.i have never done the gospel pass,but would like to but would moving if from febuary to a later date be a good idea?going over the highest road in wales seems a bit stupid to me at that time of year.

mendip mauler would be new to me,and **** the HONC it is shit :D

matthew71":1khjkk2g said:
I have spoken to karl and he is up for another brewery ride.i have never done the gospel pass,but would like to but would moving if from febuary to a later date be a good idea?going over the highest road in wales seems a bit stupid to me at that time of year.

mendip mauler would be new to me,and f**k the HONC it is shit :D

Yep nail on the head mat I do believe there is talk of switching the July grimpier ride with the February gospel pass ride ....though it was prob the most epic ride I have done through conditions :D

Ha,ha don't write the HONC off just from last year it was prob one of the worst conditions it's had (mumberlings from other people) I will prob do the 50k with my mates next year make more of a social of it again?

If you want an offroad guide to the Mendips, I know someone who'd happily lead a ride. You wouldn't really want to be up there in winter though, as it can get very cold, wet and muddy; we are talking axle deep black mud here, none of your up to the rims sissy stuff.

As for a Mendip road ride; If you wanted to take in Wells and Priddy, then you'd probably be best starting in Wells, and heading to Priddy, down the gorge, across to Shipham and then up Burrington Combe (a real killer of a climb), then back across to Priddy and Wells via Charterhouse. The A371 between Cheddar and Wells is a busy, nasty b'stard of a road and I wouldn't fancy it on a sunny Sunday.

That said, Wells is not the easiest place to get to from the West Mids, and you might be better starting at the bottom of Burrington Combe, as that's close to the A38 and reasonably easy to get to from the M5.

Sitting here with my blood running cold at the though of warming up by riding the combe. :shock:

There's a handsome hill that goes out of Wells towards Priddy, The Old London Road I think it's called (steep and straight). It comes out at the pub by The Hunters Hole, Hunters Lodge I think its called.

Down New Road to Draycot then up Top Road to the bottom of the Gorge, Burrington Combe is good too.

That's why it's the Mendip Mauler with a pint of loony soup at the end. :D

I take it you'll be there then ?

bugloss":17w8cyny said:
I take it you'll be there then ?

It's right on my doorstep, but I think most of those climbs are well beyond my capacity, plus I don't drink alcohol, which is the main reasons why brewery and pub rides are not really my thing.

Do you fancy pairing up for a reccie at some point ? It'll be in the depths of winter though or early spring.

I don't drink really, but a half of apple juice and a packet of salt and vinegar floats my boat.

Are mtb rides for winter and roadies for the summer? Or is it me that's got it wrong.

bugloss":1w58w8e8 said:
Do you fancy pairing up for a reccie at some point ? It'll be in the depths of winter though or early spring.

I am always delighted to ride on the Mendips, I just don't do much road riding up there as I live in Weston-s-Mare and as the song says, the only way (onto the Mendips) is UP. :oops:

JIC: The best OS map for the area is 182.

Back