DAB radio recommendations please

dunno LGF, I'm no expert.
the symptoms are I can plonk the Pure dab anywhere, no aerial out and it works.
Whichever FM radio I use, at home or work, I find a good place, set it up, tune it and half an hour later it needs retuning. I assumed RDS found the best reception for a given station in that location.

These days its t'internet at work, Dab at home and jobs a good un.

I think perhaps Pigman is confusing a combination of RDS and the AF (alternative frequency) function? Works fairly seamlessly in cars although can be a pita when the signal goes from a station with a single frequency, as opposed to a range.

How bizzaaaar... I have FM tuners here that havent been moved for months at a time.

At the last count I have refurbished at least 20 DAB radios rescued from the tip. They have all had silly problems easily rectified but their former owners thought it better to just bin them.

The internet is a better option for most but DAB gives you choice, ooh, choice... wow, cheers, great :roll:

I still feel its all a bit of a faff and a con. All that waste just doesnt sit well with me. There will be thousands of useless DAB radios if DAB+ is adopted. Just look at the Freeview boxes that stopped working because of software upgrades or transmission changes. Another big pile of useless junk that was supposed to be better than its predecessor.

I like the look of and the sound of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roth-DBT003-B ... 54006a5597

Quite nice in the flesh.

Back to the ranting - its like Tesco selling cheap bikes. Some buy these and think thats the be all and end all of cycling , it colours their view of cycling leaving them think that we are all nuts for spending more than £50 on something.

Same with DAB, CHOICE in big bold letters is what is promised but the results are pretty terrible when so much better could have been made available.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I used to have a nice one that I bought from John Lewis (can't remember the brand oddly) and never got around to replacing it until the BBC stopped playing digital stations over free view at peak times. Grabbed a Tesco one on a whim when doing the weekly shop. It was around £20 and is more than fine for listening to when I'm in the house. Not as good sound wise as my old 1970's Roberts FM radio but does the job nicely enough for me. If there is something I want to listen to with more volume and sound quality then it's just the online broadcast through the hi fi for me.

If I was to replace it I'd get a radio with wifi on it as well.

Normally Radio 6 as well.

Oh and if I'm at work then a lot of the time I just use the TuneIn Radio app on my phone.

I have a few modern dab radios Roberts/pure, whilst they are convenient for tuning etc I find the reception /quality to be pretty poor, and cant compete with my 'classic' Roberts unit :cool:

Tune that thing in and its locked on :!:

ah well, it seems the beauty of Sheffield's hills is the downfall of FM reception.... or maybe my sweaty armpits block the waves lol

LGF, Forgive me for asking again as I'm not wanting to be stroppy but.........

Are you still suggesting that as the chipset is the same on all the units you mention, the build quality surrounding this is immaterial to the sound quality? I understand your rider limiting factor analogy but there's more to it than that surely. Otherwise I'm off to buy a BSO. :LOL:

No because I cant be bothered.

Oh, go on then.

The finest sports car in the world - but you were only given stupidly low octane fuel to run it

The finest bicycle ever made - but you have emphysema or, like me, asthma

The finest audio system ever designed - but you only have access to knackered old cassettes

The best DAB radio in John Lewis - but you only have access to mediocre broadcasts

You could say the low quality equates to a poster print rather than the original of a painting.

I often smile at some of my friends, hi fi is becoming popular again but they are spending a lot of money on gear and then playing low bit rate MP3s most of the time.

Just think of all the hours George Martin sweated over those Beatles albums, just to have all the nuance and depth removed by 'modern' playback methods.

Back