Carbone TVT 92 b/b and seat post size

Italian shells are larger diameter, all other size cups fall right through, the threads will not engage.

Italian and some high-end French bikes use Italian BBs which are prone to problems due to the right-threaded fixed cup, which tends to unscrew itself in use.

Might be worth using some thread lock when fitting the cups

casper2788":1zvgvyqq said:
rusty bodie":1zvgvyqq said:
i bought one of these frames in 1988 and the post was 25.0mm and the bb was british thread. how weird your cups slide in. if memory serves me correctly, your frame must have italian bb threads.
The one i have taken out from my other frame which is an SLX is a dura ace 7400 1,37 x 24t axle 110mm even if italian thread on the TVT why would the cups slide in and out.

now you're testing the old grey matter! as i remember it, italian thread bb shells were a slightly larger diameter and i can remember trying to fit a british bb to an italian bb shell and the event you described was the result = the british bb unit is a narrower diameter than the italian one.

IF i remember correctly, that is!

:?

47p2":mhe8mywe said:
Italian shells are larger diameter, all other size cups fall right through, the threads will not engage.

Italian and some high-end French bikes use Italian BBs which are prone to problems due to the right-threaded fixed cup, which tends to unscrew itself in use.

Might be worth using some thread lock when fitting the cups
Just been reading about the cup unscrewing,good idea to use some thread lock something i'm not short of being a plumber.

The old Italian bottom bracket thread was 36mm x 24 tpi, both right hand thread. 24 TPI was used on many continental bike threads, I always thought this was because the original machine tools were from Birmingham and Coventry. Another Imperial standard is chain pitch.

Thanks guys,so a 70mm italian thread it is but could anyone know what the ideal axle length i will need,the chainset is Dura ace 7402 double ring.

47p2":yh0ctomv said:
I'm going to say 113mm but I could be wrong
You may be right,just been on sheldon's web page and if i'm reading it right amongst all the figures 113 it could be,thanks

rusty bodie":1oj3uzh1 said:
got one sitting here - dura ace 7400 italian bb axle measuring 112mm end to end and 49mm between the collars.
Thanks but i decided just to get a shimano UN55 70/113 just lacking a seat post now though,i don't rate me chances of getting one,i won't be riding it anytime yet.

Re: Carbone TVT b/b and seat post size

originalshinkicker":16tcy9rb said:
casper2788":16tcy9rb said:
Thought i would spend some time today swapping over my Dura ace 7402 groupset on to a Recent TVT carbone purchase and was doing well until i found out the b/b is to small and the 27.2 seat post is to big.Would anyone oblige and inform me what size they need to be,thanks.

It's several years since I worked on a TVT but if memory serves me well, seatpin size is same as Vitus/Alan, so may be 25.0mm

Which bit of the BB is too small. I recall the BB being British threaded but just can't remember exactly. What is the width of the shell you have, 68 or 70mm?

Neil
With your experiance with the TVT what would the grub screw be for behind the seat post lug when it has a bolt through anyway.

Back