Late 90's Rotec Pro Dh Restoration

tetopluz

Dirt Disciple
Hi everybody, first, my english it's not perfect.

I've racing downhill for the past 15 years, and I have own a lot and different dh bikes and configurations, but when I was a teenager I was dreaming with the Rotec downhill bike, a super long, limousine style rare dh rig, but in those years i couldn't afford a 5k bike ( i was in high school), this bike was preety weird in the late 90's, with a super looong wheelbase and a out of that time headangle, so last year after seeing velomech rotec restoration ( viewtopic.php?f=21&t=187665 ) , that post give me the motivation to buy and old one.

After almost 6 months looking the net for and old rotec frame, I found it. Its in preety good condition, first im going to strip the paint off, cut some cable guides, put another in another position, paint it, anodize it, make a new lower link, new bushing for the shock mount, new bolts, screws, nuts, washers.
New holes to put a rear brake adapter.

for those who don't know , this is the old rotec ;:

I dont have the time to look for old school DH parts, Im from Chile, so if I start buying and waiting for the components to arrive It would take months. So new school components it is.

And, Im going to try to put 27,5 wheels on this thing, the rear clearance its perfect, so I only need an inverted fork, i guess the new manitou dorado.

Tomorrow im going to start working on thie bike, i'll keep updates every week

a few pics (the drawing letters are for remind me the changes hah)

the frame is now in reparation (cutting some hose guides and making a new rear brake adapter.
in the meantime,
some colored bling components I bought this morning

2 race face bashguards, 36t and 34t just in case, I want to put some 5 arm old school cranks

So, the frame has been almost 20 days in customization, they are putting new hose guides (taking out the old ones), a new rear spacing (12mm instead of the original 10mm), among a lot of other things (languaje too technical for my english)

in the meantime, some bits i have found, the bike it's going to be all red! and with a few old school parts.

macmahone seatclamp and a funn crossfire seatpost (cutted)

an overkill front wheel, with a 224mm disk!

some red bits

the original fox shock, witch new oils and seals, an a 400lbs ti spring, but I need the original decals

an old school race face 5arm cranks I found, with an original bashguard, and a 36t chainring

The holes the frame has for the chainguide are super weird, they are not iscg old nor iscg05,
and this is the original chainguide for this frame, wich of course is hideous

So i cut it, paint it, and make new holes for the upper and lower rollers just to fit the race face bashguard.
And new minimalist rollers (they are the inside of and old road bike bar ends caps)

the rear brake adapter holes that the frame has are also super ancient and odd, so a new adapter I made.
I spray paint it, but It looks ... bad. Im going to repaint it and take out the exess of material.
(Its also for a 224mm disk.)

red funn fatboy handlebar, red sram grips

and red hope bar ends

red rear wheel, gonna star building it tonite

And I couldn't find any inverted fork here in Chile to put 650b wheels on this bike (the rear space is fine).

-the manitou dealer is not going to ship any dorados any time soon.
-old dorados, shivers, wb, are in terrible condition.

So 26" it is, sorry guys (getting a used red WC boxxer soon, dont have money for the new DVO)

ps: putting a 27.5" wheel and tyre on a boxxer-888-fox will fit of course, I've already tried, but in full compresion the lower clamp will crush on the tires, not good.

Latest posts

Back