The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

Let the dog see the rabbit then.

Got any broken stuff?

I have an Aiwa bitstream player I'm upgrading at the mo, plus the Technics, the 4000D, and a few other odds and sods all in various states of repair, and have just picked up a TD318 (one of the 'serious' Thorens decks) with A&R E77 in really good nick which just needs a bit of fettling.

It will be but not until I've designed and built a high quality offboard PSU for it, and fitted better cables / connectors (not because I'm a believer in exotic cables, but because they're tatty)

Should be a lovely deck by then! I'll keep you posted.

ebay have a few on so seems they still sell. one finishes on auction in 3 days which will give you an idea what to expect. crazy how obsolete formats nose dive in value. at one time we would have all been proud to own one.

adlyhobart":31ct3ry8 said:
sounds good to me. any idea on likely price? pm me if you have an idea plz. cheers

Not a clue at the mo. I want to see where I go with improvements first. I have some quite grand plans as on closer inspection it looks like a cleverly engineered bit of kit with a lot of potential.

so...... HiFi officionados, I have currently got this cracking sounding marantz player from apache (with techno upgrades a plenty) and to my ears anyroads- very capable mission 702s speakers moving the air and even the denon pma 255uk amp seems like it is more than paying it's way.

The sound really is good but in the back of my mind I was thinking that with a few quid more maybe I could squeeze some more performance out of the set up? My initial thought was a separate DAC but bitd I did try one and could not really notice a great deal of difference? Speaker cables are ok quality, interconnects are cheapo? Or is the amp the weakest link and if so what and how much to get a better sound all round- any suggestions or is this the eternal and never ending quest of the nerdy HiFi freak and I should just leave well alone?

Think I've pretty much decided to leave alone. Albeit with continual 2nd hand "upgrades" along the way all my stuff is off the shelf although well regarded in its day, and mainly bought after I heard stuff on pals' equipment. Far from true High End but punts out decent sounds.

Try some Linn stuff if you haven't yet - some of the sweetest sounds I have heard and easy enough to get cheaply near Killi :roll:

Or go into Stereo Stereo in Glasgow or similar and have a listen - is it really worth the extra cash? Then again, if yer still listening to One Direction all the time I can see why you'd want to get more music outta the system ....

Apache - haven't forgotten you and my 8000P - just rather up to my neck with other issues at the moment.

:xmas-cool:

Latest posts

Back