Crank lengths - 175 vs 170

TBH, i can tell the difference 170/175, for about a minute after getting on the bike. Then i can't. Doesn't actually have any effect on performance, just feels a little odd.

Mismatched crank lengths i can feel all the time. Feels like one crank is either bent, or has a bent pedal axle...... Consequently, all my bikes have matched pairs of cranks (its not hard to do!)

I can really tell the difference even just 2.5mm, normally 175mm, had 170's arrive on my Xizang, had 172.5 on my road bike. I did not like the 170's, especially uphill, they got sold, I swapped the 172.5's for 175's, again better uphill. Don't forget, a 5mm longer crank means that your seat should be 5mm lower, thus you knee, relative to saddle will come 10mm higher, this is a problem for the time trial possition, where thighs can contact belly/lower ribs. If you don't ride the different lengths along the same route regularly you may never notice.

widowmaker":6p49fdyj said:
I always opt for 170 rather than 175 they weigh 2 grams less :facepalm:

But you need a 5mm longer seatpost for that, so what's the net saving...? :facepalm: :D

troje":2xg2vz3i said:
widowmaker":2xg2vz3i said:
I always opt for 170 rather than 175 they weigh 2 grams less :facepalm:

But you need a 5mm longer seatpost for that, so what's the net saving...? :facepalm: :D

FTWWW (For The Weight Weenie Win)

0learningbike1.jpg

Back