Next Year's Retro Ronde

Hello all,

Been having a PM discussion about the Merckx homage idea with Bugloss.

We discussed doing a ride on Friday so people can then go over to Oudernaarde on Saturday for the pre-Ronde stuff.

I've had two ideas for routes so far, both on Friday:

1) We start in Leuven, ride over to the village where Merckx was born, then from there ride south of Brussels via Geraadsbergen to Oudernaarde. This would let us ride the Muur, maybe the Bosberg, and some other climbs that don't appear on the RRVV route. It would be 180km so it would take all day.

2) We do a route that starts and ends in Leuven, taking in Merckx's village, plus some local pubs and breweries, and some of the local climbs and other sights. This could be a more leisurely affair and I could adapt the distance to suit people.

If people want to ride on Saturday, we could do a shorter route round Leuven and then head to Oudernaarde in the afternoon. But the Friday alternatives seem a bit easier if people can make it then.

Any thoughts?

Johnny

bugloss":35jzcid2 said:
Sucks, why ?

Didn't see that attachment. :roll:

see the pic i attached to my previous post! they say that you can only take part if your bike dates 1987 or older, so it's ridiculous that you can't take part if you have clipless pedals - they were mainstream back in 1985 !!!!

WTF??

:x

TBH I don't think they are that strict. I think I saw people riding clipless this year, and they didn't even check the bikes me and my friends took at the sign in.

I can always lend you a pair of pedals with toeclips. You can even register, then go back to the car park and put your clipless pedals back on if you want.

I wouldn't worry about it.

@Rusty bodie
I've got a pair of Campagnolo brake levers you can borrow, nice Eddy Merckx pantographed ones Mmmmmm.... nice Betty!
Or you could always borrow my bike just to register if you want. We'll get you through one way or the other.

Anyway off to do battle with the North wind. bbbbrrrrrrr!!!!!

i'm a terrible one for fairness (libran if you believe all that mumbo jumbo!) and would blow a gasket if i was to come all that distance and get told that my bike wasn't retro enough!!

i mean, you can't get much more retro without going down the flying goggles and moustache route - which i'll never do!! :roll:

(oakleys are now red - thanks steve!! :cool: )

Back