Wile-e-Coyote..?

Re: Wild doggie

parkplodder":c56lgh5l said:
Am a bit unsure on response. If it has an Easton Programme badge on it, was that all legit with Easton's approval..? Or do you think its pretending to be something its not..?
(Last Ebay pic put up shows rear stay arrangement a bit better by the way, plus the tubing decal)
D

Of course, Easton are simply the Tubing supplier to the manufacturer.

Lots of frames were assembled in the far east using Easton tubes, if it bears the stamp, then its certainly Easton tubed. How the bike was badged up depends on the company responsible. Coyote, Merlin, Handsome Dog, Obsession.

All the above and many many more were essentially a generic frame manufactured in the far east, and sold under different guises. Obviously there were many many different variations available, twin stays, rear wishbones etc, Replaceable gear hangers or not, headtube gussets etc etc.

Come the end of the model year change, frames would be offered up in batches, at even greater reduced prices.

At one point I could buy small batches of the lower model for as little as £49.00 +Vat, and Easton tubed Models, at Starting prices of £99.+vat.

If you take Merlin cycles (mail order not American TI) for example, Buying massive batches of frames, and then OE shimano, theres little surprise you could buy a a fantastically well specd bike for 35% less than say the equivalent model trek marin specialized etc.

The value for money element alone, enabled it to get a head start in the reviews. Coyote was much the same, only id say having perhaps having less commercial success than Merlin Cycles. ( I suppose this was purely due to buying power, ad budgets, customer awareness etc).

Blimey..you are very knowledeable Sinnerman. Getting so much education! Nearly had another heart attack, when I thought my Ti Merlin wasnt so beautifully welded in the U.S.A. tho..! :) The wild dog looks extremeley fit for purpose, and I just hope I can get it out one dark Winters night, and fly down the road on it. Itching to try the new Mosso al forks out. Only ever had steel rigid ones before. D

The first production bike from memory to use Easton Varilite tubes (for example) was for Doug Bradburys Manitou in 1990.

This spawned the Widespread use of Butted aluminium tubes, as a lightweight yet strong aluminium. Trek were doing it for years prior to this (bonded of course), but wide spread use took a bit longer.

The Varilite tubes have extremely thick walls in the areas of high stress, and they taper down in the areas that handle less stress. In this way, stresses are dispersed in the tube, and the life of the structure is increased. It's not rocket science, just good design.

It didn't take long for it to become widely available, and whilst quoting prices to the trade above, when the frames hit the market, they were selling retail for between 3 and 400. It is only when supply overtakes demand that the prices are forced down.

Varilite is a good tubeset to my mind. Very Light to be fair. Just be careful if you have a repair done it sadly might come back to haunt you.

Oh right. Yes I remember disgussing Varilite now years back, and how good tapering would be. My Manitou HT says Custom Program tho.. is that not as light/strong/good..?

For Cadex. Does anyone know what brake levers I bought there years back..? Not important but I have, it seems, frames or parts with no or forgotten I Ds. Had to get a new chainring alas for the old Cooks, and hard to find right 5 bolters these days Ive found...

parkplodder":lqqcud4n said:
Oh right. Yes I remember disgussing Varilite now years back, and how good tapering would be. My Manitou HT says Custom Program tho.. is that not as light/strong/good..?

The only problem was, ProGram became sort of a generic name for the taper technology tubing, but nearly every company using it had designed dramatically different specs for it. That ment that even though the same decal is used on say an Alpinestars,
Coyote, Yeti, Marin or Far east own brand, and a host of others, they're probably all very different from each other. It seemed not all of these tubesets were the same, and to be fair multiple decals would have been far more appropriate.

I would also suspect that your frame will only have Easton main tubes, the rear section will undoubtedly made from a lower grade of Aluminium. Yet enough used to bear the mark, "so to speak".

Just to chip in. Had a Stevens (German company) with Easton ProGram and it did have a little diamonds with E stamped on the down-tube, not far from the head-tube and another stamp on the seat-tube close to the seat cluster. Was manufactured in Taiwan and I dated it around 1996.

Back