Sad day: Company takeovers

Isaac_AG":36fdopoi said:
TheGreenRabbit":36fdopoi said:
Why is a company takeover a sad day ?

Because every time it's been taken over after, the following Christmas they get rid of people, my husband has escapes the last three, no guarantees this time :(

95% of the time he doesn't get a lunch brake or any brake, and he never takes a day off sick when he's not, like a lot in the office, I think they are lucky to have him, and he often has to do other peoples jobs as well as his own cus they've got rid of so many, I hardly think a 10 second call twice a day is that big a deal.

Alison

by law your entitled to a break! if he has a contract its probably mentioned in there? plus he's probably stopped his lunch break! so thats unpaid work! on one firm I was on they got pulled up for staff not taking a lunch break, you had to show it on your time sheet that you took it, if you decided to work through it and get away early you then had to add that time onto the end of the day, but it to shown on your time sheet that you took it
totally agree about the ten second call, IIRC there was a case a few years ago, where a company stopped personal calls, it was taken to the european courts and I think the guy won case as it was classed as a restriction on his human right to deny him access to information! my last company tried to stop us having our private mobiles on during working hours, I used a similar line about freedom of information and human rights and the guy from HR said he'd look into it.....we never heard back from him :)

We_are_Stevo":34xb8k24 said:
Neil: last paragraph. ..

...b*ll*cks!

We have to spend our whole lives being told what to do; may as well get them used to it right from the start!

'No' means 'No...'

Same with the tofu-eating, sandal-wearing "Education is stifling my kids natural creativity" bullsh*t! :evil:

I'm not saying "No" shouldn't mean "No". What I'm trying to suggest, is that it's not all about my perspective, my principles, my assertions, either. Kids didn't choose to be born, nor have me as a parent. I have some firm things I don't nor won't compromise on, other, more softer factors - well opinion, being forthright and having an ego are one thing, but sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the things you decide to impose, and ask yourself who are they serving more - you, or your kids.

Yes, I have an opinion on what people should do, I also have some reasonable thoughts on what I won't let them do, but beyond that, I'm not just going to impose my will just to serve my ego and my outlook on life. That's just egotistical.

Company take overs, are if you are glass half empty person its all doom and gloom, glass house full they always present loads of opportunity's, evolve and survive.

TheGreenRabbit":3sfmxfpl said:
Company take overs, are if you are glass half empty person its all doom and gloom, glass house full they always present loads of opportunity's, evolve and survive.

Mmm you could say that but job opportunities these days are few and far between, Christ you get hundreds going for bin men jobs just to be employed, and if he had to my husband would do it too. He has only been unemployed for a bout 4 months in 20 years, after leaving university. He was made redundant over 13 years ago and we had to travel 100 miles for this job. I live in a niceish house with a huge garden, in a nice village and the chances of finding the equivalent at the same price anywhere else in the UK, if he did loose his job and was lucky to get another one and as a 47 year old it would be luck, there is no guarantee we'd be this lucky so yes call me a glass half full, I call it being realistic, loosing your job at 47 isn't an opportunity for new horizon's it's a life scrounging of the dole, just hoping to get something, anything to get something of the life back you had as a working family.

Alison

i'm sorry, his manager denied his presence at work? So you didn't mention he may be lying dead in the road then? Pretty sure those actions are not acceptable, if you were calling to inform him of an emergency etc?

How does the "boss" know its not a work related call and therefore intercept it?

Doesn't compute with any of my work experience
:|

Neil":11lrb0fx said:
being plugged into personal stereo / MP3 player has made it a lot easier to be completely antisocial - gym, mainly, but also whilst shopping.

I keep Bluetooth headphones in my glovebox specifically for listening to music when I'm shopping. It's not that I'm antisocial (well I am, but don't really mind quick small-talk with strangers - cuter the better), it's the shite musak they pipe through their PAs that put's me over the edge. They think I'm kidding at the register when I say I want a 10% discount on my purchase for having to endure their aural treacle if/when I forget to put my headphones on before entering. Then again, I did pop in to Rona a few weeks ago for some screen for my patio door and didn't bother with the headphones (in and out). They had Highway Star blaring. I got a laugh out of that.

As far as phones at work, my boss wouldn't dare comment on me using mine. I'm always fixing the screw-ups on his new Galaxy S4, the BB before that, his laptop, his netbook, and my own work comp when he uses that and screws it up. He's too afraid I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "dunno" at the inevitable next electro-crisis he'd get himself into to dare piss me off.

On the cheap mobile point - 3 have a tariff £6.50 ish per month - cheap phone on ebay or Tescos and away you go.

Richard

Neil":2wmdf9zn said:
There's a flipside to that, though. Being the utter B'Stard (that's not diddling the swear filter, it's homage) and misanthrope that I am, being plugged into personal stereo / MP3 player has made it a lot easier to be completely antisocial - gym, mainly, but also whilst shopping.

Without it - especially in the gym - it can be like a green flag to the needy to try and smile and strike up a conversation with me. FFS what's wrong with these people...

I'll let you into a little secret, too - when I've got earphones in (I don't wear any of those big, fecking stupid cans on my ears while I'm out and about) I don't always have any music playing, I sometimes just have them in, when I'm not in the mood for listening to music, just so that people don't try and make conversation with me. I love hating everybody. Makes me feel all warm inside.
are you related to victor meldrew ? :LOL:

How about, if he makes calls as part of his job, ring home first thing, let it ring twice and hang up?

That way you know he's arrived OK, it'll cost nothing, and shouldn't appear on company call logs.
It's what I used to do with my mum BITD when I was 8, off on the bus to a mate's house miles away in Basingstoke, and phone calls were really expensive.

All the best,

Back